Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Attention: 2006 Itasca 39k or 2005 Journey 39K Owners with residential Fridge

Need to replace my Norcold and want to put in a residential Fridge. I am looking for owners of the above coaches and what model fridge did you put in?

I've looked at quite a few threads on replacing the Norcold with a residential, found a lot of great tips on the subject. However, I could not find one that matched the cabinet configuration that is in these coaches, with the fuse panel and propane alarm sitting below the Norcold.

I seen posts where others have moved some things to get it to work for the fridge, but the cabinet configuration was different.

See attached photo

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Fridge2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	298833  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #2

I found some pictures on a forum somewhere of a J39K with a Black French door Samsung (looking for them, but haven't found where I saved them). I think they got rid of the sub-woofer and moved DC breakers and gas detector down when they moved the floor down some. Due to the location against the wall they said they couldn't open the door far enough to be able to reposition the shelves, so make sure they are where you want them when you install it.

I have a J39K and I bought a HiSense 17 cuft Model #HBM17158SS 2 door counter depth bottom freezer unit from Lowes. I haven't installed it yet. It is an upcoming project for a few weeks from now. I have been running it to test it in the house. Just got done replacing the inverter with a PSW one and going to 4 Golf Cart batteries due to a lightning strike.

I am planning on taking some pictures of the install as I haven't seen unit installed by anyone yet.

Jay
Old 08-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

7mtn,
Yes Sir, there's plenty of threads over on the regular Class A forum about this, including two of mine. The big difference is, your coach is a 39K and ours is the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD. We have/had the smaller 2-door Norcold N-1095 in for 16 years and, it started to raise in temps so, I too made the simple decision to just change to a residential fridge, instead of all the other potential remedies.

For our change, it wasn't too difficult. There are numerous makers of the exact right size for our opening. I chose the Magic Chef 10.1 cu. ft. It fit EXACTLY right in my opening. I got it all in place, made securing brackets for it and, it looks like it was installed by the factory. But, I did all this and THEN, I read the owners manual. It clearly states, TWICE on one page:

This refrigerator IS NOT to be used in an RV and or, an inverter!

This unit is not intended to be used with an inverter.

Now, ya tell me!!!!!!!!!!! So, in talking or, corresponding on that section of the forum I spoke of with others who have this kind of experience, I found out that, the Magic Chef I purchased, does not play well with MODIFIED SIGN WAVE INVERTERS!!!!

So, me being hard headed, I'm gonna leave that fridge in place and, simply purchase a stand alone 1000 watt PURE SIGN WAVE inverter, that will be dedicated to the fridge ONLY.

OK, that's my story. Now, pertaining to your situation. I don't know if you've cruised on over to those threads on that section of the forum or not but, take a look and maybe connect with a few of those boys. It's more than likely, one or more will be able to help you. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:32 AM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Thanks Jay,

I looked up the specs on the fridge you mentioned and my concern is the height (Height to Top of Case 68.5 in). After pulling out the Norcold, the stock opening is 63.5 in, which means I need to find a way to gain at least 6" (leave some room for ventilation). The promising news is the depth is 26" and the depth of the Depth (Less Door) 23.62. Now I just need to find out how to come up with the 6"'s for the height.

So time to get zeroed in on what I can or can't take away from the cabinet to hopefully fine the height I need.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply and the information about the inverter, never gave that a thought.. To be honest, I have yet to turn on the the inverter and probably need to find some information on how that interacts with the 110 circuits in the coach (my bad for not already knowing)..:(https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif I do understand what the inverter does as far as 12v DC to 110AC and the difference between in the sine waves (full vs modified). Use to carry an O-scope back in my younger days when working on computers.

I have searched on replacing the fridge and found quite a few threads which helped, but could never find any that matched the cabinet config like we have. We would also like to keep the same storage size that we had with the 1200 (12 cubic ft). If you know of any specific threads that you can point me to that would be great.

Thanks again... Charlie
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #6

Here is an in-process picture of the HiSense refrig. I took some of the installation details. Will add later. Still some trim to go. Lowered floor about 5".

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	refrig.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	302041  
Old 09-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Hi Jay,

I got mine in as well, question is had did you secure yours? I ended up putting 2 "U" shaped brackets in the back on the bottom to stop it and also help hold it down, as well as drilling holes in the front feet of the fridge and put bolts through them. I wasn't thrilled with the way the top of the fridge still moved, so I reused the right side top door hinge, put a 5mm screw and bracket and screwed it to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Fridge.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	302139  
Old 09-24-2020, 09:45 AM   #8

I secured mine with two 5/16' lag screws through the back bottom plate (either side of the compressor) to the new floor I made. I reversed the feet on the front and removed the front rollers. I put two bolts from under the new floor into one of the bolt holes in each front feet (5mm by 60mm). I flipped the Winnebago roof straps over and used 3M VHB tape to hold the brackets to the top of the frig without have to risk drilling into the frig. Finally, I made tapered wood blocks on the sides (top and bottom) and wood blocks in the back (top an bottom). I covered the block surface that touches the refrigerator with Self Stick Velcro (fuzz side) for anti-squeak.

Took the MH for safety inspection today (passed) and no squeaks so far.

I have more pictures I need to add. I also ordered the Recubed Solutions Frig Fixer Door lock. That should come arrive in a couple days.

Glad you got yours in too.

Update: Pictures:
1 - How I got it in the motorhome with just my wife and I
2 - NewFloor and rub blocks
3 - Top Area and rub blocks

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	How-I-Got-It-In.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	302148   Click image for larger version

Name:	newfloor.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	302149  

Name:	top-area.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	302150  
Old 09-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #9

Here are a few more pictures of some details. The rear hatch was closed off with plastic strips and then insulated with Reflectics. Since the floor has to be lowered, the sub-woofer had to be removed and the cabinet front frame rebuilt. I was able to cut the original door in half and use for both side including finding the matching Bulldog Latch (AP Products) on Amazon.

To keep the frig closed, I used Fridge Fixer from Recubed Solutions. My frig (HiSense HBM17158SS) was not in their database yet. I provided dimensions and they suggested a model to try. It fit fine. Model Frig Fixer Short.

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Base-Shrink.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	302891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorsOpen.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	302892  

Name:	InsulatedHatch.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	302893   Click image for larger version

Name:	HiSenseFrigFixerInstalled2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	302894  

Old 10-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #10

Heartland RV Club
Looks great! I put in the exact same fridge, Hisense. Can you send me the info what Bulldog Latch you put on? I can't find it on amazon. Also, how does it attach?

thx
Old 10-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #11

The Bulldog catch is EXACTLY the same as the original one that is on the door where the 12V breaker panel is. It is AP Products 013-037-1 Bulldog Catch. I don't think we are allowed to put Amazon links in, so I sent you a PM.

I took the original door, cut it exact in half. Used one original hinge on each door. I repositioned the hinge on the right to use one set of the original hinge holes. I used the second original hinge on the opposite door at the same height as the right door. I re-installed the original catch on the right door and installed the new catch on the left door.

Jay
Old 10-03-2020, 04:56 AM   #12

Heartland RV Club
My Bad, I thought when you said bulldog latch, you were referring to the Fridge lock. Should have read it closer. Thanks for the Link
Old 10-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #13

Correct. Sorry for the confusion.

The Bulldog catch is for the wood doors below the refrig. The refrig lock I added is the Recubed Solutions FrigFixer. I bought both from Amazon, but available elsewhere as well.

Jay

Tags
fridge, itasca, journey