Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 12:24 AM   #1

Atwood Water Heater Fitting Leak

2005 Journey 36G
Atwood Water Heater Model GCH10A-4E

Water has been dripping from under the water heater. Removed panel from under the rear of the water heater and found that the leak is from what appears to be a 2 piece plastic compression hose fitting that attaches to a brass elbow on the rear of the tank.

Is there an O ring inside one of the plastic fittings? Has anyone reading this disassembled these fittings and then reassembled them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood-1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	310226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	310227  

dredel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #2

dredel-

The plastic fitting is a Flair-It. It has broken (see the brown mark at the split) and needs to be replaced.

Flair-It catalog is here. You want to look at pages 12 through 16.

Regular PEX crimp fittings would work, but I would not want to use a crimp tool in that restricted space. A Flair-it fitting can be pried off and replaced without tools.

There appears to be a check valve between the Flair-It and the tank. If this is the cold water inlet, you can:

1) eliminate the check valve, or
2) remove its innards, or
3) replace the check valve, or
4) do nothing with the check valve, and have it fail open or closed at a later time

With those mineral deposits I'd be surprised if the check valve is not stuck partially open.

If it's the hot water outlet, then replace the check valve. It's part of the winterization bypass system. At a later time you could modify the bypass system to eliminate a heater outlet check valve; see this thread.

Plumbing diagrams for your coach, among other useful info, are available at this link.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

dredel,

When i had to replace that check valve ( it is the cold water intake) on our 2005 36G i cut off that fitting and used a Sharkbite fitting on the pex pipe to connect back to the new check valve. You can get sharkbite fittings at the big box stores as well as ace hardware. If you do use sharkbite mark the hose so you make sure insert the hose to the correct depth inside the fitting and you do want a clean cut on the pex hose.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Leak fixed and Lessons Learned

Thanks Mark and Neub for your helpful input.

What made this repair difficult was the limited access behind the water heater and 2 coolant lines from the engine that connect to a heat exchanger around the water heater tank. I considered disconnecting one of those lines to give better access but couldn't find a way to shut off those lines and prevent spilling a lot of coolant. Fortunately I discovered the round access port on the back of the heater housing (see photos.) One hand working through that open port made the repair much easier. I replaced the check valve (which was stuck open) with a brass nipple of the same length and replaced the cracked plastic flair fitting with a shark bite. I confess that I have not been draining my water system during winter when the coach is not being used. I assumed () with electric heaters inside the coach keeping the interior above 50 degrees that the system would be safe from freezing. Dumb idea! While water lines inside the coach may have been fine, I'm sure that plastic fitting near the bottom of the water heater froze and cracked. From now on I'll be draining my water system during the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood-3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	311899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood-4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	311900  

dredel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredel View Post
Dumb idea! While water lines inside the coach may have been fine, I'm sure that plastic fitting near the bottom of the water heater froze and cracked. From now on I'll be draining my water system during the winter.
Frozen line in Atascadero, CA? I guess that's possible but hard to fathom. Looked like hard water caused that issue with all the scale. Potentially, that's what ruined that original flair fitting. Do you have a water softener like these?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Frozen line in Atascadero, CA? I guess that's possible but hard to fathom. Looked like hard water caused that issue with all the scale. Potentially, that's what ruined that original flair fitting. Do you have a water softener like these?
Weather.com shows temps have been in the high 20's at night so freeze is very likely

OP...
Winnebago likes to use 'check valves' on BOTH cold in and hot out
Cold in not really needed
Hot out ...not needed IF you have shutoff valve (room to install/access one)
With the cold one scaled/calcium build up.....HOT is probably as bad
Might want to replace it now before it fails and you have NO hot water
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heat, heater, leak, water, water heater