Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #1

I have developed a rip in the aft side of the awning up at the seam where it attaches to the motorhome. A local canvas shop can repair it for me at a very reasonable price, but I need to remove the fabric first. I do not wish to remove the hardware, and it appears that the fabric can be removed with the hardware in place. Surely someone here has done this before. It appears that there are only two screws holding the "rope" in the awning channel on the top. How difficult is it, and can it be done by two people? A local RV shop wants a small fortune to remove and replace it. It just doesn't look like a terrible job, at least from my point of view.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #2

I have developed a rip in the aft side of the awning up at the seam where it attaches to the motorhome. A local canvas shop can repair it for me at a very reasonable price, but I need to remove the fabric first. I do not wish to remove the hardware, and it appears that the fabric can be removed with the hardware in place. Surely someone here has done this before. It appears that there are only two screws holding the "rope" in the awning channel on the top. How difficult is it, and can it be done by two people? A local RV shop wants a small fortune to remove and replace it. It just doesn't look like a terrible job, at least from my point of view.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #3

I'm not sure how you do it either. I have read and suspect from my experiences with awnings, that it is springloaded and can really get you if you're not careful and/or don't know what you're doing.

Maybe a phone call to the mfg. would be in order.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not an expert in this at all, but I've got a problem with an awning too - and have been doing a bit of research.

As I understand it, the two screws you're talking about prevent the awning from shifting right/left in the awning rail. This rail holds the end of the awning. To remove the awning, you'd need to slide the awning down the rail to the rail end so it can come out.

Since that could be a long way, you need to remove the awning roller assembly from the brackets first. Here is where you need to be careful as the awning roller is under a lot of tension. You need to find a hole in the awning end (on both ends) where a cotter pin can be inserted that prevents the awning roll from rotating. With this pin in place, you can remove the awning from the brackets and then, with the help of two more people, slide the awning down the rail.

Next you probably want to remove tension on the roller assembly. This is tricky. You'll need to put a pair of vice grip pliers around the end of the awning, tension it so one cotter pin can be removed, then very carefully unwind the tension using the vicegrips. One slip and you're going to hurt yourself and possibly damage something. When done, you get to do it all over again on the other end. Now you can unroll the awning from the roller and take it in to the repair shop.

Or, you can just go to them and let them do the work for their small fortune!

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #5

After examining my awning very carefully, I note that I can remove the fabric from the top rail without removing any hardware, except for the two screws. When the awning is extended, the channel in the roller holding the other end is unubstructed by the hardware. We are going to try to remove it by sliding it out of both channels simultaneously, with a third person holding the roller tube up slightly to remove any tension. The local RV shop quoted me over $200 to simply remove the material and replace it after the repair. Even if I have to remove the roller tube, that sounds like too much to pay. I also have the A&E service manual to assist, if the roller needs to be removed.