Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

on my adventurer the large awning goes out over the right slide....therefore doesnt angle down all it does is hold rain....cant bring awning in until i use a broom and push all the water off it is an a&e any way i can lower the angle?????
Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

on my adventurer the large awning goes out over the right slide....therefore doesnt angle down all it does is hold rain....cant bring awning in until i use a broom and push all the water off it is an a&e any way i can lower the angle?????
Old 07-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If yours is like this, you don't ever, never, ever, never leave it up in the rain in spite of the advertising copy that says it will kneel and dump water.

I suspect that if the awning was installed either on the slide itself, or on a coach with no curb-side slide, it could be designed with a sufficient angle to really shed water. As installed on my coach with the curb-side slide, it is so horizontal it doesn't have a chance to dump water. And, no it isn't adjustable.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John_Canfield:
If yours is like this, you don't ever, never, ever, never leave it up in the rain in spite of the advertising copy that says it will kneel and dump water.

john i looked at your album and your bus awning is the same as mine...do you have trouble closing also???? in feb at daytona the rain froze on the awing overnite took two hours to get the ice off before we could leave.....rain was a drizzle started about midnite never heard it
Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is supposed to have a freeze alarm that will beep, but you probably didn't hear it. We never leave the awning deployed at night and your experience is a good reason why we don't.

We had some water freeze on our slide topper last winter and that was an ugly sight when we pulled the slide in - it was like trying to roll up cardboard. I thought the topper was a goner, but it is apparently okay.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

we have a 2005 35A and had the same problem. After trying a longer awning-which didn't work we are on our 3rd awning and it is finally solved-thanks to a lot of help on Winnie's end. Even though it is fixed we do not leave the awning out if there is the chance of rain overnight. If it is a heavy downpour during the day we will also pull the awning in-but we leave it out during a light rain and keep a very close eye on it. After not having it dump we are amazed to see it dump now!!!

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mine dumps great, it just won't automatically roll up when it's windy.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

John,
If you had to do it all over again, is there some other trick you think could work to shed the water a little bit at a time???

What I was thinking was use the levelers to tilt the MH sideways a little at a time to keep the puddle in the same general area but draining over the roller.

Maybe we all should just poke some drain holes in the likely low spots??

Our Chieftain has no curb side slideout and awning is a pretty good angle when fully open. Late this afternoon here in Branson it poured cats & dogs (or whatever comes down here in the Ozarks) for 30-45 minutes & we had the awning fully extended. All is ok.

Having a great time here in Branson after day 2 of the Rally.

Happy Trails,
Duner
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Mine dumps great, it just won't automatically roll up when it's windy.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If I had this to do again, I would have the manual awning as, IMO it's significantly more robust. John's pix have me really concerned about the C-channel bowing at the shock, and the fact that it doesn't appear to retract with higher wind, but manages to roll up in 3-5MPH. Hurrrumph..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #10

If your awning is filling with water and not doing the "automatic dump feature", it is not working correctly. We are in San Antonio right now and just went through a 2" rain with our (Winnebago 35A) automatic awning out, and it fills with water and then dumps correctly. As I have posted in previous posts, move your awning out where the awning material is EVEN with the top of the roller tube...and that is NOT FULLY extended where the awning material is BELOW the top of the tube. Your dump will work correctly. DO NOT use a broom to try to empty your collecting water as you will end up with a broken awning because your dump feature will not work.

FYI...our awning comes straight out also on our 35A model with the kitchen slide.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

frontranger.....when i put awning out all the way the fringe of the awning material is pointing down to the ground that should be fully extended correct?????????? jim k
Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 03 CORVETTE:
frontranger.....when i put awning out all the way the fringe of the awning material is pointing down to the ground that should be fully extended correct?????????? jim k </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the top of the awning and move the awning in a bit after exteding it all the way....so the awning fabric is EVEN with the top of the tube. Your awning "fringe" slot will be hanging exactly facing the ground and not in front of the awning.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #13

Copied from another poster on IRV2.com about this awning, and he might have said it simpler than I did:

Another trick to allow water to drain better is to extend the awning about 1/4 turn shy of fully extended. If you extend the awning all the way, the fabric meets the roller tube part way down the inside edge creating a little dam. If you keep it 1/4 turn shy of fully extended, the fabric sits at the top edge of the roller tube and eliminates the dam.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer, we've never been in a rain storm while the awning is out..so we've never been in a position to use this feature. I'm not quite sure of what you're describing. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of how it should look when extended and ready to 'dump' during a rain storm?

Many thanks!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote