Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Back flow preventer already on Black Tank flush?

Hi,

I was watching a video on how to clean the black tank thoroughly and he connected a hose with a back flow preventer on the hose to the black tank flush input connector. I was getting ready to order one from Amazon but just wondered if there was already one built into the port already? It would make sense if it did.

I looked at the plumbing diagrams for my model but didn't see one listed. Does anyone know if there is one already built-in there or not?

Thanks
Ben
Old 07-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Usually not on the black tank flush
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Back flow preventer already on Black Tank flush?

Mine has a back flow (check valve gizmo) installed where the hose hooks to the black tank flusher. It is easy to see when you look into the connection.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Robin, Carolyn and Maggie the Schnauzer - 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T, 2014 Smart Car Toad
Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree that there looks to a gizmo to stop back flow, but when you disconnect the hose the water runs back out!

I put a plastic valve with a push in fitting to make it easy to connect, I turn on the water then open the valve. When done I turn off the valve then disconnect. It is positive and works.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

On our coach Winny uses what they call a Breaker-Vacuum 125697-04-000 Check Valve 125697-03-000 (Must be mounted above toilet flood level). My 2003 Adventurer also had one. It looks similar to the vacuum breakers on home irrigation valves.

They are usually installed in bathroom cabinets located above your outside water compartment.

When you remove pressure, the vacuum breaker opens and prevents any water on the black tank side from flowing back towards the flush hose connection. The water you see coming out is on the hose side of the breaker.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
I agree that there looks to a gizmo to stop back flow, but when you disconnect the hose the water runs back out!

I put a plastic valve with a push in fitting to make it easy to connect, I turn on the water then open the valve. When done I turn off the valve then disconnect. It is positive and works.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Good solution. Just bought a quick connect but had not thought about using it on the black tank flush; thanks for the idea.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have two hoses on board. A 6 ft one and a 20 ft one. This has done for every camp ground I have ever visited and I have visited 48 states in my RV. Since I have had the 30T I connect up with the 20ft hose. I have a Y on the coach fitting with valves built into it, an elbow on one side of the Y and disconnects on both sides. The fitting for the black water flush has a on/off valve and a quick disconnect. I also put a 5" clear section on the dump outlet. When dumping it's easy to see what is happening and I just connect the 6ft hose between the Y and the flush, pressurize it and open the valve to the flush. The clear section lets you know when the water is running clear. Before I start I also use the jacks to lift the passenger side of the coach so the tanks are on an angle so they drain properly.

Pete

2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yes, there is one, possibly two if the flusher has been upgraded to a tornado.. You will find the inlet for the flush system goes to a vacuum breaker (One type of back flow preventer) Tornado (An after market upgrade) has a check vavle in it.. Such is required.

That said... A 2nd one on the supply line.. Very good idea in my book. This is one area where too much protection would be hard to imagine.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
On our coach Winny uses what they call a Breaker-Vacuum 125697-04-000 Check Valve 125697-03-000 (Must be mounted above toilet flood level). My 2003 Adventurer also had one. It looks similar to the vacuum breakers on home irrigation valves.

They are usually installed in bathroom cabinets located above your outside water compartment.

When you remove pressure, the vacuum breaker opens and prevents any water on the black tank side from flowing back towards the flush hose connection. The water you see coming out is on the hose side of the breaker.
I believe mine is the same as this. I found it the hard way when it sprung a leak and water was dripping down to the compartment below. I had to install a new one.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Hi,
I was watching a video on how to clean the black tank thoroughly and he connected a hose with a back flow preventer on the hose to the black tank flush input connector. I was getting ready to order one from Amazon but just wondered if there was already one built into the port already? It would make sense if it did.
I looked at the plumbing diagrams for my model but didn't see one listed. Does anyone know if there is one already built-in there or not?
Thanks
Ben
Kelm130
There is definitely a "back flow preventer" in the hose connection for my black tank flusher.
It is a 3 spoke thingy, (technical term ), in the female hose fitting to which I attach a water hose to flush my black tank.
Mel
'96 Safrai
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, vent