Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Backup Camera Cabling

My 2003 Winnebago Journey has the original black and white Sony dash mount monitor with a newer Sony camera. I would like to upgrade to a color system but I am not sure where the camera cable is routed.

I thought it was run below the floor but I have read in several places that it could be run in the ceiling. Does anyone have first hand experience upgrading the camera and cable? I am probably going to install an Android GPS head unit that supports backup camera and forward facing DVR camera.

Thanks for reading.
MartinGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
The cable is run in the ceiling. There are adapters available to use the OE cable with a newer camera or monitor, you’ll have to do some research or questioning when you decide on the components you want to use. You can always run a new cable underneath as a fall back position.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #3

Backup Camera Cable Adapters

I have searched for the adapters to use the old cable, but I fear that I am behind the curve upgrading now. I have looked at the larger online sources without seeing any adapters.

I have wondered if the replacement camera will have a higher current draw than the original black and white camera? The original cable is very small diameter.

If I opt to run a new cable, how do I get the cable fished up the rear wall to the camera location? I assume the rear wall is foam core, so it could be interesting to fish the cable up that 4 feet from the engine compartment.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #4

Martin-

Call Tim at RVCams. Web site here, phone number is (225) 261-9946. He knows a lot about adapters, monitor and camera options, etc. I appreciated his patience; he must have heard the same questions hundreds of times.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my camera and monitor with a system from rearviewsafety.com a few years ago and ran a new cable underneath. The rear cap is hollow between the cap and the RV wall. I dropped a string with weight attached down through the hole for the camera wire and used it to pull the cable end up to and through so I could work with it. On the front end, I ran the cable up through the boot around the steering column and on up into the dash to attach to the monitor. If you replace your monitor, carefully review the wiring schematics of the power connection. I had to reposition a wire or two in the plug to make everything compatible.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

Wonderful News

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
...The rear cap is hollow between the cap and the RV wall. I dropped a string with weight attached down through the hole for the camera wire and used it to pull the cable end up to and through so I could work with it...
I made the false assumption the rear cap would be foam insulated. You have just given me hope that it will not be like Pandora’s box when I start this project. It is these false assumptions, as I made, that can hamper attempts at DIY on motorhomes. It is great to have a community to seek advice from.

Thanks again FleetMan
Old 08-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Martin, search the archives for rear cap work. Several years ago a member posted pictures of his Journey with the rear cap removed for A/C duct work. It will give you a good idea of the construction there. I posted some pictures after I replaced my rear view camera and monitor. At the top of the website page, click on Photos, then Members Galleries and enter FleetMan in the search box. You may have to navigate an additional step but that will get you to my pictures if you are interested.

Tags
camera