Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bar B Q for low pressure connection to new 27N

We just traded our beloved Itasca 38T in on a new Adventurer 27N. We have a low pressure connection on the side of the coach for a Bar B Q. What is your experience with this set up and do you have suggestions as to what brands etc to look for.
Thank you all in advance for the help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Any grill that has a regulator on the hose can be used by simply replacing the hose/regulator with a plain hose. Other grills may also be used after removing the regulator, so pick the one that you like the best and just remove the regulator, if necessary.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ljwt330....thanks for your reply.
I'm not getting the complete picture here.....my fault, I am old and slow.
The only thing I know about gas BBQs is that you hook the propane up, push the button and cook......I need a little more help, if you are willing.
So I go to HOME DEPOT and find a BBQ I like....bring it home. Where is the regulator....what does it look like? and how to I remove it? Then I need to get a different hose?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fat Fiat, suggest you go to a store that specializes in grills or Camping World and tell them you are looking for low pressure grill and hose to hook to you coach.
Not all grills can be converted. Sometimes the orvis is build into the regulator and you also need a control valve.
I did mine several years ago, got a Camco control valve with orvis worked great. Told my son to get the same grill and I would convert it for him, new one was not exactly same and I had to make some parts to get it to work.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 AM   #5

Most portable propane gas grills that are designed to use with the 1 lb propane cylinders can not be easily used with an RV's low pressure gas supply. That is because the flow control valve is integral with the regulator and often the regulator is integral with the gas burner as one complete assembly.

Here is an example of one. The regulator/control valve is on the right. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/p...s/1141001.html

Most free standing large grills designed to be used with a 20 lb propane cylinder have the regulator attached to the propane cylinder and a hose to the grill. The grill has individual control valves. So all you need to do is buy a hose and fittings from the RV's propane connector and hook it to the grill, bypassing the propane tank and regulator.

Here is an example of one of these:
https://wwcsupply.com/camco-59013-80...20group%20%231

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Fat Fiat, suggest you go to a store that specializes in grills or Camping World and tell them you are looking for low pressure grill and hose to hook to you coach.
Not all grills can be converted. Sometimes the orvis is build into the regulator and you also need a control valve.
I did mine several years ago, got a Camco control valve with orvis worked great. Told my son to get the same grill and I would convert it for him, new one was not exactly same and I had to make some parts to get it to work.
I think you mean orifice, not orvis.

Amazon sells a number of conversion kits for converting high pressure grills to low pressure grills.

Here's one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57638-Q...dp/B003VAT976/
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #7

davidEM pretty much summarized it in the post above! but even many designed for the 1 lb green bottles can be converted. the key is the regulator. if it has a regulator only versus a regulator with a built in burner control it can be converted. ours came with a regulator that you screw a 1 lb bottle into. just take that regulator off. put a quick disconnect on the fuel tube that attaches to the grill and buy an extension hose with quick disconnects on each end. if this is confusing go to youtube and there are many videos that explain and show this conversion process. there is also a company that makes conversion kits for various grills. (i don't remember the name). they also have several videos on how to do this.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #8

That Camco kit will work to connect a low pressure hose to the grill. But that valve is not a control valve, it is an on/off valve so you will be unable to control the flow to the burner unless their is a separate burner control valve on the grill.

Also on the Weber grill that I provided a link to above, the regulator/control valve is integral with the burner and it would not be easy to adapt the Camco kit.

In general if the grill has a hose it can be adapted by using the Camco kit in place of the hose. If it doesn't like the Weber grill above, it cannot.

David
Old 08-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you: grtharris, DavidEM, tfryman, bigchick.
You have given me a lot to digest.
Thank you so much.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Most portable propane gas grills that are designed to use with the 1 lb propane cylinders can not be easily used with an RV's low pressure gas supply. That is because the flow control valve is integral with the regulator and often the regulator is integral with the gas burner as one complete assembly.

Here is an example of one. The regulator/control valve is on the right. https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/p...s/1141001.html

Most free standing large grills designed to be used with a 20 lb propane cylinder have the regulator attached to the propane cylinder and a hose to the grill. The grill has individual control valves. So all you need to do is buy a hose and fittings from the RV's propane connector and hook it to the grill, bypassing the propane tank and regulator.

Here is an example of one of these:
https://wwcsupply.com/camco-59013-80...20group%20%231

David
While this is true in many cases it is not true in all

For instance the 17 and 22" blackstone Grills utilize a 1lb or 20lb connector that both have integrated regulators which are disconnected when the appropriate hose from the propane connector on the RV is utilized thus utilizing the integrated regulator on the RV.

We do this with the use of a hose/blackstone specific adapter which is available on Amazon from a number of sources.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you Paul65K
Old 08-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
That Camco kit will work to connect a low pressure hose to the grill. But that valve is not a control valve, it is an on/off valve so you will be unable to control the flow to the burner unless their is a separate burner control valve on the grill.

Also on the Weber grill that I provided a link to above, the regulator/control valve is integral with the burner and it would not be easy to adapt the Camco kit.

In general if the grill has a hose it can be adapted by using the Camco kit in place of the hose. If it doesn't like the Weber grill above, it cannot.

David
Really? So why does it have ha Hi/Low bar on the knob?
Attached Images

aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #13

Ah, I see now. It has two valves, a shut off and a flow control valve, so you can control the flow with this kit.

David
Old 08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the KISS method.

You can control the gas with the yellow handle valve on your RV. We do this with our LiL Chief Campfire and our BBQ grill - it works fine, just select the flame height you want on with the lever.