Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #15

Their appears to be a smaller cap. to the left, with many connection
to the left. Is this for the fan motor. Ever what, I would like to replace
this at the same time ....What mica is this, (two capacitor in one) ?
Thanks for any help .....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had my basement air fail this week. Compressors would start and run but no air out of the ducts. On the third or fourth restart, the fan would come on and all was good. Next day, no fan period. Replaced the run capacitor for the "inside fan" and turned it on - all was well. Total cost for the 4.5 uf/440v run capacitor was $2.96. I carry spare start and run capacitors. It is not a question of if you will need them - rather when. Very simple replacement but make sure all power - AC and DC is off before you open it up.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #17

whats the part number you are carrying?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boyland
Suggest you download the service manual for your unit and you will get part numbers there. I have three ServMans that I have downloaded all for different models. For capacitors, you don't need the capacitor part number if you can get the specs off the existing caps. They are much cheaper when you ask for a 7.5uf cap than a brand specific part number. I erred in my previous post - the "Indoor Fan" run cap is 7.5uf / 370volts not 4.5 as I posted. You can use a Cap with a voltage rating equal to or above the one being replaced. Good luck
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #19

Great info here guys. Thanks to all.

Question. On a 12 year old Coleman Mach is there any benefit to just changing the dual cap and hard start cap as a preventative measure. They dont seem to expensive. The used ones could be a spare until you pick up new spares. Just change them before they fail?
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:14 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just a small clarification you do not have to buy a dual capacitor, singles are also available from HVAC supply houses in this case a 30mfd 440 vac. Dual capacitors are used on most residential units so only one capacitor is needed. there is a common connection on dual capacitors and a connection for the compressor and one for the A/C fan.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #21

That is true if you can find the match single capacitor i could not.

This is the capacitor for the blower motor
Fan Capacitor for Coleman Air Conditioners 1499-5461
https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Capacitor.../dp/B004RCR3AM

That i bought as spare.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boyland
That is the same capacitor I bought for $2.96 including tax. As I noted in my previous post "They are much cheaper when you ask for a 7.5uf /370v cap than a brand specific part number". The capacitors used in air conditioners are widely available. Purchased some for my home AC from a surplus electronics shop and I am sure they are widely available from AC service outlets. I got mine recently from a refrigeration parts outlet.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #23

Locally it was 10 but not everyone would be comfortable without a part number i also ordered the board it was 144.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaputnick View Post
I was wondering if anyone has used a laser temperature gun at the roof registers to measure output temperature? What is expected for a properly operating unit?
Should be 20 degrees cooler at the roof register vs the return register.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Should be 20 degrees cooler at the roof register vs the return register.
I checked this over my last trip. Outside 90* at the return 70* at the roof register 50*.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
I have a question for fellow Coleman Mach owners. I have a 2004 and notice when Im lying in bed with my head directly above the unit I can hear it oscillate. So the hum frequency oscillates but the RPM doesn't change. Its not speeding up or slowing down if that makes sense.

It runs fine, I just have never noticed it before. I just realized typing this that the second compressor was running and usually when I go to bed it doesn't have to run the second because the difference in set temp and room temp isn't that great so it doesn't call for it to run.

Maybe I was just hearing the two compressors running and the frequencies being slightly different? I have repaired equipment since the 80s and the best tool for identifying trouble is often your ears. Not sure if its a problem or just a characteristic of sleeping above your AC.

I love the basement unit. I hope I never have to do without it.

BTW the fan isn't making any noise. I ran it by itself.
Yes you are hearing the two compressors running, but what you are hearing is the 60Hz AC hum changing phase (as it were) against the other one. Its such a slight difference in rotor speed you could never measure a difference in performance

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote