Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Basement Air Unit

Hi everyone. I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with the basement air unit. I have noticed a musty smell coming out of the vent that is under the side of the bed. It is really nasty. Has anyone else with this particular basement air unit had problems like this? I have been keeping a blanket against the vent beside the bed to block the smell when I am not using the air conditioning. Is there any way that I can clean the unit? I've changed the filter under the bed but does anyone know if there are any other filters in the unit that I need to change or is there a drip pan that may be plugged? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintpro99 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with the basement air unit. I have noticed a musty smell coming out of the vent that is under the side of the bed. It is really nasty. Has anyone else with this particular basement air unit had problems like this? I have been keeping a blanket against the vent beside the bed to block the smell when I am not using the air conditioning. Is there any way that I can clean the unit? I've changed the filter under the bed but does anyone know if there are any other filters in the unit that I need to change or is there a drip pan that may be plugged? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have a 35U with the basement air also. I have never had a problem with smells coming from under the bed or anywhere else. As far as a drip pan that may be plugged, there is a rubber hose that protrudes through the pan on the bottom of the unit. It sticks down about 2" below the unit on the outside. It's not uncommon for this rubber tube to get plugged off with dirt or mud or even insects. You can start by making sure this rubber hose isn't plugged up. Depending on the humidity in your area water should drip from the tube when the the unit is running.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

I would inspect the system for a 'dead critter' somewhere in the vent system. Not unusual, and when they rot they smell to high heaven until they dry up.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintpro99 View Post
Paintpro99,
Well, first off, you're stating that you have a smell coming from a "vent" beside the bed and, that it's from the basement A/C unit. As far as I know, ALL VENTS and or registers from the basement A/C or heat pump, are in the ceiling, not the floor. All FLOOR registers are from the 12V gas furnace as well as the intake for the gas furnace.

Now, in our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, we also have the basement A/C but, our INTAKE air for it, sits right along side the bed, on a raised platform. You lift the cover off of that intake and that allows us to retrieve the replaceable air filter. So, are you stating that your smell is coming from the intake of the basement A/C or, are you getting a smell from one of the registers for the gas furnace?
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Paintpro99,
Well, first off, you're stating that you have a smell coming from a "vent" beside the bed and, that it's from the basement A/C unit. As far as I know, ALL VENTS and or registers from the basement A/C or heat pump, are in the ceiling, not the floor. All FLOOR registers are from the 12V gas furnace as well as the intake for the gas furnace...
On the 35U there is a register on the side of the bed. Return air from the basement A/C enters there, then through an air filter and on to the A/C unit.
On our 2003 35U the return air register is on the rear side of the bed base. There is a floor vent on forward side of the bed. If OP is referring to that vent/register then yes that is for the propane furnace.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
On the 35U there is a register on the side of the bed. Return air from the basement A/C enters there, then through an air filter and on to the A/C unit.
On our 2003 35U the return air register is on the rear side of the bed base. There is a floor vent on forward side of the bed. If OP is referring to that vent/register then yes that is for the propane furnace.
Our return air Register is also on the rear side of the bed base. I guess I shouldn't have referred to it as a vent. I realize that it is a cold air return. As long as the air conditioning is being used, there is no problem with smells. However, when the unit has been turned off is when the musty smell comes out of this return. I checked the drainage tube outside under the back of the unit and everything looks good there...no blockages. I also changed the air filter under the bed. I guess I will explore more options when I return home. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #7

I had similar condition but I found the dead mouse under the bed right next to the return vent!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:39 AM   #8

Is it a dead animal or is it musky? Big difference.
819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I had similar condition but I found the dead mouse under the bed right next to the return vent!!!
That was going to be my next guess. There is an area under the head of the bed that isn't easily accessible. Very possible you have a dead critter in there.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your drain tube is probably clogged which has allowed water to build up in the pan around the coils. From inside the coach, remove the filter and shine a flashlight down in the intake box. I bet you'll see water, mold, and maybe rusted coils.

You must make sure the drain tube under the AC unit stays open. When the AC is running, you should always see water dripping out of the drain tube.

Use something to open the drain tube then drain and clean the intake box from inside the coach. If the coils are rusted, treat that as well.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
...From inside the coach, remove the filter and shine a flashlight down in the intake box...
Can you actually see the unit doing that? In my coach, all you will see is a curve in the air duct. Even if you can see the unit, the only way to get inside and clean the water collection tray would be to pull the unit and open it up. If my drain plugs up (no hose sticking down) the water will find another way out, up and over the edge if it ever gets that deep. If it isn't dripping where it should be, I know the drain is plugged.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Your drain tube is probably clogged which has allowed water to build up in the pan around the coils. From inside the coach, remove the filter and shine a flashlight down in the intake box. I bet you'll see water, mold, and maybe rusted coils.

You must make sure the drain tube under the AC unit stays open. When the AC is running, you should always see water dripping out of the drain tube.

Use something to open the drain tube then drain and clean the intake box from inside the coach. If the coils are rusted, treat that as well.
Thanks for the info. I am confident that it's not a dead animal as the smell is mouldy/musty. I have already made sure that the drain tube under the coach is dripping water when the unit is operating so my next step is to see if I can clean the intake box as you have suggested. I am heading for home tomorrow so that will be the first thing on my to-do list when I get there. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

You should be able to see the indoor coil with your bed slide extended. Lift the bed platform and remove the filter.

I would think that if the indoor coil was the culprit, the smell would come out of the overhead vents when the unit is running.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #14

My '02 Journey has the same setup and the pan under the floor heat pump assembly has TWO duckbill drain hoses. First thing I did when I bought the rig was to pry those open and allow the liquid and debris that had accumulated to escape. Used a screw driver to keep them open for several days so everything could dry. Than I sprayed bleach water up in the hoses. So far no smells.

Maybe check to see if you might have two drain hoses not just one. Wouldn't hurt to spray a solution of bleach water up in there onto the tray either.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air