Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery Charging

2000 Suncruiser 35U, does anyone know if the engine alternator charges my house batteries while driving?
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

YES assuming it is working as designed. Both house and chassis batteries are charged by the alternator.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, thought it did,but wasn't sure.. Didn't see much of a change on the meters at the panel. Guess it has to be at more than idle.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach Batteries Charging Solenoid

Charging of the Coach Batteries does occur when the engine is running (any RPM) PROVIDING the CO (Continuous Operation) solenoid is functioning properly.

This solenoid is energized by a 12v current when the engine is running, solenoid contacts are closed and the charging current from the alternator is also directed to the Coach Batteries.

This can be easily checked by using a multimeter to check the voltage of the coach batteries, before and after starting.

It is not uncommon that the solenoid becomes oxidized and the contacts won't complete the charging circuit.

I have remover my solenoid and taken it apart to clean the contacts.
I have also purchased a new replacement solenoid that I keep for a quick replacement, if needed.

I have attached photos of the solenoid as it is attached in the motorhome as well as several to show the internal contacts of the unit.

Let us know how you make out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161023_181818987.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	330243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161125_101922197.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	330244  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161125_101944931.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	330245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161125_102103541.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	330246  

winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Charging of the Coach Batteries does occur when the engine is running (any RPM) PROVIDING the CO (Continuous Operation) solenoid is functioning properly.

This solenoid is energized by a 12v current when the engine is running, solenoid contacts are closed and the charging current from the alternator is also directed to the Coach Batteries.

This can be easily checked by using a multimeter to check the voltage of the coach batteries, before and after starting.

It is not uncommon that the solenoid becomes oxidized and the contacts won't complete the charging circuit.

I have also purchased a new replacement solenoid that I keep for a quick replacement, if needed.

I have attached photos of the solenoid as it is attached in the motorhome as well as several to show the internal contacts of the unit.

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow, storage is closed today
Old 05-31-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Do you have the part no for the solenoid? I have an F53 also, just 1 year older. Assume solenoid is under the hood area, correct?
TIA
Old 05-31-2021, 01:54 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
Do you have the part no for the solenoid? I have an F53 also, just 1 year older. Assume solenoid is under the hood area, correct?
TIA
Looking at the Chassis Wiring Installation diagram for your coach it appears the solenoid(s) are above and inboard of the batteries under your entry steps. You may find the Automotive Wiring Diagram helpful as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TIA

As stated above, my solenoid is located behind the second entry step.
It is grounded via the attachment to a metal plate.
I have seen some units where this solenoid is located under the hood.

It is a 3-terminal unit because it is grounded to the metal plate via 2 installation bolts.
So, no extra grounding terminal is required (as IS with most Marine applications, 4-terminal).

This is a high-amp solenoid. There are many on eBay for a lot less than you would pay at a parts store. Look up Continuous duty 3 terminal solenoid and you will find several at the 150 - 200 amp range.
These are pretty simple devices. They operate by an electromagnet activated by 12v. Continuous 12v closes the contacts and the batteries are directly connected to the alternator charge system.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
TIA

As stated above, my solenoid is located behind the second entry step.
It is grounded via the attachment to a metal plate.
I have seen some units where this solenoid is located under the hood.

It is a 3-terminal unit because it is grounded to the metal plate via 2 installation bolts.
So, no extra grounding terminal is required (as IS with most Marine applications, 4-terminal).

This is a high-amp solenoid. There are many on eBay for a lot less than you would pay at a parts store. Look up Continuous duty 3 terminal solenoid and you will find several at the 150 - 200 amp range.
These are pretty simple devices. They operate by an electromagnet activated by 12v. Continuous 12v closes the contacts and the batteries are directly connected to the alternator charge system.

Just purchased this as a spare if needed
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-01-2021, 06:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's the one I would recommend.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Discovered generator will charge house batteries, but alternator doesn't. Think I have a missing wire. Mechanic is going to check out while he has it later this week for annual pre-trip inspection.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd have to check the wireing diagrams.
I seem to recall that the gen charges through a different path.
Easy to troubleshoot the solenoid function.

Keep us informed.
Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

Charging house batteries

I bought a 12 volt meter and I check the motor home first then the house batteries to see at what vote they are. Then I start the motor home and check the starting battery to see that it is charging then the house batteries to see if they are charging at the same voltage. If everything is the same we are golden.
iowagasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #14

The generator doesn't charge anything.

It sends 120 volt power to the converter/charger or inverter/ charger. That charger is connected to the house batteries and charges them.

On the other side, the engine alternator is connected to the chassis battery and only charges that.

The contiounus duty solenoid, talked about in the post, is called a isolation solenoid.

Its there to connect the chassis battery to the house battery, when the chassis battery is receiving a charge, sharing that charge with the house battery.

Many systems also use the same solenoid when the house batteries are charging, to share the charging with the chassis battery. That's called bi-directional charging.

Last but not least, the switch on your dash labled AUX, Emergency or Boost start also closes that solenoid, connecting all,of the batteries together to help weak ones start the engines.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging