Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Charging Question

On our 2000 Ultimate Advantage MH I noticed that while driving my house batteries aren't be charged I checked them with a volt meter with engine turned off and while running and they are not being charged. I looked under the front cover and took off the fuse panel could it be that the relay could be bad the one that is marked dual mode solenoid or is something else not working.

Thanks to anyone that replies
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

bauschman49

I am having battery issues also. My converter is taking over a week plugged into 110/20amp shore service to fully charge my batteries. While checking for the trouble I learned to test at every point to isolate the problem.
Where are you checking the voltage at the converter or the battery? Could there be a fuse between the two. I found one put in by my dealer near the battery, an inline fuse.

Steve
bauschman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

To the OP - find you battery isolator or relays and check voltages there, it's a matter of finding where the charging is not getting towards the house batteries..
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have checked at all locations and the 13.66 v is at the converter, and 15 ft away at the battery, 13.54. This seems to be normal but I am looking to get the batteries to a near 1.3 SG reading on the Hydrometer. At present the highest reading I have been able to get these two new, 5 month old 6 v deep cells, is 1.275 (scale 1.1 to 1.3 on Hydrometer.

Thanks.
bauschman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Checking

I checked at the battery going up front to do some checking.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have the usual Winnebago wiring the diagram below may be helpful.
I believe that at least one model of the Ultimate Advantage was not wired like Winnebago normally does but instead had a BCC (BIRD?) system like Fleetwood uses. That system charges the engine batteries when connected to shore power. If you have that system you will have to download the diagram from the Winnebago web site.
Later (2005?) Winnebago started using a different device on many of their motor homes (diesels at first and then some gassers?) - the battery Tender maybe? -
that charged the engine battery when shore power is connected.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks for the diagram, ours is the same as your diagram and after looking I discovered that on the battery disconnect switch the 5 amp fuse is missing on the drivers side I never realized that our motorhome would charge house batteries when we drive I was under the impression that the house batteries were only charged by the gen. We purchased the MH 3 years ago and it seems that I keep finding out new things about it all the time, now I wonder why the fuse is missing going to replace it and see what happens since it's only five amps don't think it will fry anything if it was removed for some reason.

Tags
battery, charging