Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Bed in the Winnebago Tour

Does anyone have ideas or photos on how they keep the foot of the bed propped up while they are working on some of the wiring or other problems that are stashed below the bed? I need to check out the air mattress pump and need an idea on how to secure the foot of the bed up while doing the work
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #2

A piece of wood?
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:48 PM   #3

When I installed a 14" foam queen mattress , I picked up two adjustable supports for safety , the gas struts are over their weight limit .

Hardware store ( maybe even Harbor Freight )
Old 10-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I understand that, the problem is with tile floors and the angle the wood is on the plywood bed frame the wood will slide off easily, I was wondering if anyone designed some sort of stop or catch to keep the wood in place on the bottom plywood where the bed sits so the top of the board will stay in place, If the top is "locked" in place I can place the bottom of the wood against the box frame of the bed
Old 10-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I will look and see what Harbor freight has to offer
Old 10-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a piece of PVC cut to length and this closet piece that is screwed to the bottom of the bed. I place the PVC over the closet piece so that it doesn't slip. If I remember right, I used 2 inch pvc. total cost was about $10.

I got the closet piece at home depot. You should cut the PVC so that when it is in use, it will be roughly at 90 degrees, it will hold better that way.

If you do an online search, there are aftermarket struts that can hold impressive weights, pricey though.

My bed is pretty heavy because of heavy mattress topers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snubber.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	379375  

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Does anyone have ideas or photos on how they keep the foot of the bed propped up while they are working on some of the wiring or other problems that are stashed below the bed? I need to check out the air mattress pump and need an idea on how to secure the foot of the bed up while doing the work
sure. we installed (had installed) a pair of gas pistons, one on each side of the bed and then a swimg down bar between the two pistons that acts as a safety.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Location: SD Resident = places in Green Valley AZ & Mission TX
There are several good ideas here, but I'll add one more. After several tries, I learned how easy it is to do some damage when not bracing in solid place.

I used a simple 2x4 with a V cut in one end. The V is placed on the teflon(nylon?) slide pad, and the other end on the metal frame above it. The goal is for the upper end to be flat on the metal frame rail. A second 2x4 that goes to the floor from the corner for safety.
That's it. Wood cost was free from the Lowes scrap bin.
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Remover the mattress by first removing the air hoses from the mattress bottom at the head of the mattress. The mattress sight has details. There are a series of screws holding down the panel at the foot of the headboard. You may have to remove the headboard unless you remove all the piano hinge screws. This should give you access to the pump.

A new mattress that doesn't require air might be a better way to go. I was so happy when we got rid of ours.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:12 PM   #10

We ordered two gas struts similar to the basement door struts, except we ordered ones with a stronger pressure, enough to hold the bed up when opened, and just enough to have to push the bed down. I attached a strut on each side of the bed. I made a metal plate to provide support on the inside of the bed "frame"; it has holes that match the ball support on the bottom piston of the strut. I think previous owner monted the original struts at an incorrect angle and the result was they blew out the holes through the frame so the struts just dangled. I drilled new holes so the struts would not prematurely bottom out, and then sandwiched the bed wall with the metal plate and the strut ball, holding it all in place with bolts, washers, and nylon locking nuts. This has also pleased DW because she can now lift the bed by herself and knows it will stay in place until she pushes it back down.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:54 PM   #11

Cane

I use a metal walking cane that I used in the past. It is adjustable and works great!
JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:52 AM   #12

My son pays a lot of hockey and he gave me a couple of old sticks. I used the shaft of a cut off composite hockey stick. I used a smaller one to hold open the emergency window in the bedroom, if ever needed. That window was so small I don't know if more than one person could get out in time.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
A new mattress that doesn't require air might be a better way to go. I was so happy when we got rid of ours.

Except, memory foam mattresses are HEAVY. I like our sleep number mattress. Makes it easy to lift the bed.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Except, memory foam mattresses are HEAVY. I like our sleep number mattress. Makes it easy to lift the bed.
I had the sleep numbers in my '05 Vectra. It wasn't bad. The Winnebago air bed that came with the Maridian was not worth keeping. I hope you get your problem solved soon.

Tags
ace, winnebago