Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
We are at one of our favorite RV resorts for the weekend because of some really hot weather expected (90 degrees). The wife tells me that she tried to turn on the bedroom tv last night and got nothing. She tried turning it on by pushing the power buttin on the top in case the remote batteries were dead. No luck. I checked all the breakers and fuses, everything look good. The bedroom tv is actually a LCD tv monitor, so it is compact and light weight.

I get a flash light and peer into the cabinet from around the edge of the trim, and there it is. The end of the plug that should be in the monitor power port. I'll skip the unnecessary details I did, and just give you the way I managed to fix it.

First, the monitor needs to come out of the cabinet to reconnect the plug. Remove the trim panel from the bottom of the tv enclousure. Once off you can see a approx 6" round hole cut into the bottom of the 1/2 plywood bottom of the cabinet. Don't try to unscrew the bottom plywood, there are two screws holding it up from the inside that won't let it come off.

If you look at the manual that came with the tv, you will see that there are four screw holes in the back of the monitor. That is where the monitor is mounted on a sheet metal mounting platform. Reach up into the 6" hole with a phillips screw driver and remove the four screws. You have to go by braile, there is no way to see and do it at the same time.

The monitor will fall forward after the last screw is removed, so be careful. Lean the monitor out and plug the power cord back in. It plugs into the bottom of the monitor on the right side. Getting it back in is the fun part.

I finally figured out that a small manual about 3/8 inch thick placed under the front lip of the monitor was just about the right height to line up the screws. To locate the first hole, I used a toohpick to locate the hole in the mounting brace, and line up the hole in the monitor. Once it is lined up, LEAVE THE TOOTHPICK IN HOLE WHILE YOU FISH THE MOUNTING SCREW UP INTO THE OPENING. This will save you lots of time and flustration in finding the mounting hole with the little mounting screw. Once you have the hole located and the screw in your fingers, remove the toothpick and insert the screw. It turns in pretty easy. Once the first screw is in, lining up the others is pretty quick.

The only other method I could see to remove the TV would have involved tearing off the wood moulding around the tv screen, and possibly removing a window valance that was in the way to access the front mounting screws of the mounting template. That was a complete last resort for me. Once I figured out how to access the back of the monitor, I could probably to the whole thing again in 30 minutes.

If you have to get to the back of the TV monitor, or even change out the existing monitor, this will be the shortest route.

Good luck!!
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are at one of our favorite RV resorts for the weekend because of some really hot weather expected (90 degrees). The wife tells me that she tried to turn on the bedroom tv last night and got nothing. She tried turning it on by pushing the power buttin on the top in case the remote batteries were dead. No luck. I checked all the breakers and fuses, everything look good. The bedroom tv is actually a LCD tv monitor, so it is compact and light weight.

I get a flash light and peer into the cabinet from around the edge of the trim, and there it is. The end of the plug that should be in the monitor power port. I'll skip the unnecessary details I did, and just give you the way I managed to fix it.

First, the monitor needs to come out of the cabinet to reconnect the plug. Remove the trim panel from the bottom of the tv enclousure. Once off you can see a approx 6" round hole cut into the bottom of the 1/2 plywood bottom of the cabinet. Don't try to unscrew the bottom plywood, there are two screws holding it up from the inside that won't let it come off.

If you look at the manual that came with the tv, you will see that there are four screw holes in the back of the monitor. That is where the monitor is mounted on a sheet metal mounting platform. Reach up into the 6" hole with a phillips screw driver and remove the four screws. You have to go by braile, there is no way to see and do it at the same time.

The monitor will fall forward after the last screw is removed, so be careful. Lean the monitor out and plug the power cord back in. It plugs into the bottom of the monitor on the right side. Getting it back in is the fun part.

I finally figured out that a small manual about 3/8 inch thick placed under the front lip of the monitor was just about the right height to line up the screws. To locate the first hole, I used a toohpick to locate the hole in the mounting brace, and line up the hole in the monitor. Once it is lined up, LEAVE THE TOOTHPICK IN HOLE WHILE YOU FISH THE MOUNTING SCREW UP INTO THE OPENING. This will save you lots of time and flustration in finding the mounting hole with the little mounting screw. Once you have the hole located and the screw in your fingers, remove the toothpick and insert the screw. It turns in pretty easy. Once the first screw is in, lining up the others is pretty quick.

The only other method I could see to remove the TV would have involved tearing off the wood moulding around the tv screen, and possibly removing a window valance that was in the way to access the front mounting screws of the mounting template. That was a complete last resort for me. Once I figured out how to access the back of the monitor, I could probably to the whole thing again in 30 minutes.

If you have to get to the back of the TV monitor, or even change out the existing monitor, this will be the shortest route.

Good luck!!
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The LCD I installed in bedroom has a 12v brakedown transformer that has a pin into side of TV. Was thinking of hooking up to a spare 12v fuse but wife doesn't like to ride in bedroom. The kids did and I had a 12v TV in the bedroom when they traveled with us.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote