Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2021, 12:36 PM   #1

Black tank woes

Since new, my black tank dump valve has been near impossible to pull open. Under warranty with RCD in Sunbury, Ohio I've brought the unit the unit in twice to remedy the issue. Both times, after keeping my 2017 31BE,for several weeks when I was called to pick it up NOTHING was done to resolve the issues. Just fold "that's how they work and it will get better". Well now I'm stuck in an RV Park in MN and it finally stuck half way open. Pulling on the plastic handle actually broke off my second year and the metal replacement handle's threads were stripped due to the force pulling on it. I've tried using a little Wesson oil and dawn liquid to no avail. A certified tech has been working on it for 4 hours with no luck. Can anyone out there give me some advice? We've tried everything. I am amazed the pull handle is connected to about 5 feet of cable that snakes around pipes and stuff to connect to the holding tank blade.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Is the issue the cable, or the knife valve?
Old 07-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Onebrit

Hi
I'm not familiar with the cable set up my Black water valve is a direct pull, and is easily changed as I have done. Can you supply a photo may help come up with Idea's how best to fix.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

Iíve had 3 RVs, none had cable, all easy to operate
Probably the cable mechanism

One other thought if black valve is mounted with handle down the valve can get difficult to operate

My 2nd RV wad handle down & no way to change it. I exercised it a lot to avoid it sticking
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Community Moderator

When i was having an issue with the cable pull valves I had to go in and shorten the cables then reroute the cables. At the valves the cables are held in place with a set screw and you need an Allen wrench to fit it. To cut the other sheath I had to use my Dremel tool, be careful and not cut the cable.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandave View Post
Since new, my black tank dump valve has been near impossible to pull open. Under warranty with RCD in Sunbury, Ohio I've brought the unit the unit in twice to remedy the issue. Both times, after keeping my 2017 31BE,for several weeks when I was called to pick it up NOTHING was done to resolve the issues. Just fold "that's how they work and it will get better". Well now I'm stuck in an RV Park in MN and it finally stuck half way open. Pulling on the plastic handle actually broke off my second year and the metal replacement handle's threads were stripped due to the force pulling on it. I've tried using a little Wesson oil and dawn liquid to no avail. A certified tech has been working on it for 4 hours with no luck. Can anyone out there give me some advice? We've tried everything. I am amazed the pull handle is connected to about 5 feet of cable that snakes around pipes and stuff to connect to the holding tank blade.
First issue is to get it all the way open. Cable operated blade tank valves are the worst idea ever. I had a 2000 HR that the black tank valve cable was broken from the day I got it.

If you can get it open, and clean it well, you really have 2 options. Leave it open. The cheap one is to install a twist on valve at the end of the pipe where you hook your hose to.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...31038926&psc=1

The second is to install electric tank valves. Of course this will require some wiring and replacement of the old valve in addition to the parts

https://www.amazon.com/Barker-24130-...67465778&psc=1

If I owned a rig that had t handle cable pull valves I would spend the $300 to $500 and replace with electric.

On My previous coach that had the bad cable for the black tank, that I put the twist on valve, it worked wonderful for 5 years. The grey tank valve still worked so I was still able to dump black then grey but even if it didn't, running the tank cleaner for 10 minutes would clean the ich out of the hose.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may not be what you want to hear; however have them install a Drain Master Electric Gate valve or Barker's Auto Drain, or Valterra's electric gate valve. It's gonna cost you, unless you do it your self but well worth it.
I installed Barkers Auto Drain, so much easier. NO cable Awesome.
Just my .00000001 cent's worth of advice.

But before I go, If you disconnect the cable and open it at the valve itself, is it hard to open and close? If not then any of the products list will help greatly. However, if at the valve itself it is very hard to open and close then the issue is the alignment of the valve lines and or the valve itself has been over tightened.
You will need to get the tank dumped and flushed and then separate the line at the valve and see how far it springs apart from each other to further trouble shoot at that point.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

Sorry I'm not able to help but,,

Holy moley! I might be looking at the plumbing schematic wrong but it looks like the cable goes to the other side of the motorhome then loops back to the valve. If so, I wonder why Winnebago did it that way?

Still, I'm curious as to why the "certified" technician hasn't been able to figure out anything in four hours. Is the valve itself encased in stone?
Old 07-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

Why did they have to complicate it? What is wrong with the original manual pull valve?
You have to hook the slinky up so you there to pull handle anyway. I guess I'm missing it..
Anyway, I'd second just getting rid of the complications and revert old school..
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

I can offer no remedy in your current situation but I had the same problem on my Boldt - The cable is ridiculously long - I had to bring back twice and insist they fix it the second time - it was clearly messed up and ready to break off. In fact was hard to use and wrong right from the start - am hoping it is not a consistent problem in the future. Maybe to wing it home you can bet a rubber piece and dryer type clamp tighten it up and put the black cap over it? Sorry for your troubles
Edwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Aaahhh, the joys of dealing with a dealer. We're on our 6th coach in 45 years, and have finally gotten to the point wher5e we go back to the factory for any and all coach service, plus a lot of chassis service also. We live near Detroit and Forest City is an easy 2 day drive. They have the intimate knowledge of the coach, and you most likely will not hear 'that's the way it is!' The work starts the day of the appointment, you get your coach back each night (unless impossible to do so), and you deal with the tech that's doing the work.
You can also start by calling their Tech Service hot line (800.544-1837) to get some insight into your issue.

Good luck, see you down the road
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #12

I'm probably a bit late responding but hadn't seen this post before. My 32v has cable operated dump valves and yes they are a pita. I had to take the handles off from the neat spot they were mounted to (must have been to make it look nice). They were way too long and had a sharp kink right off the handle end. They now just lay in the bottom of the wet bay. I have found that if I use tank valve lube it helps a lot and also spray the cable ends down frequently with a spray lube (WD40). So far as a lot of posts saying to replace with manual or electric valves it would not be possible as a person can't even see the valves so I just make sure to keep the cables serviced. I don't see that the OP has responded as to any remedy.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank