Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #1

Broken Bolt

I found this broken bolt/nut under my slide there is this one in the front and another one in the back. I need to find one and replace this one..

Thanks LeeB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Bolt.png
Views:	46
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	301435  
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can't locate one on your own, I'd give the Winnie Customer Support line a call. They can tell you what you need and may be able to sell you some.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
If you can't locate one on your own, I'd give the Winnie Customer Support line a call. They can tell you what you need and may be able to sell you some.

Is there a phone number? Or a Web Site?

LeeB
Old 09-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago Motorized Customer Care
(800) 537-1885 - Toll Free
Winnebago Contact Us

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I was just at Winnie factory yesterday to have a complete adjustment/repair/replace the worn parts on my big slide. That included replacing the same broken bolt you have. The new HWH part is a much bigger threaded portion (maybe 1/2 in vs the 5/16 in dia .... just my size est). What you need is a HWH part but they are really slow to respond to service call (like 6 weeks to return a call back). So I strongly recommend Stuarts Service in Elkhart 800 826-6267. I've used them a couple of times. They know the HWH product well and can get the part shipped out in a day or two. Tell them you can email a picture of the broken part, they will know because these break frequently. Measure the total length of yours since I think they use a shorter one on 2005 or 6.
Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I was just at Winnie factory yesterday to have a complete adjustment/repair/replace the worn parts on my big slide. That included replacing the same broken bolt you have. The new HWH part is a much bigger threaded portion (maybe 1/2 in vs the 5/16 in dia .... just my size est). What you need is a HWH part but they are really slow to respond to service call (like 6 weeks to return a call back). So I strongly recommend Stuarts Service in Elkhart 800 826-6267. I've used them a couple of times. They know the HWH product well and can get the part shipped out in a day or two. Tell them you can email a picture of the broken part, they will know because these break frequently. Measure the total length of yours since I think they use a shorter one on 2005 or 6.
Good luck,
Bill
Bill thanks so much. I am in California so I will be on the phone first thing Monday morning.
Thanks LeeB..
Old 09-20-2020, 03:41 AM   #7

LeeB-

I'm just adding a bit to the help supplied by "Gormleys," Chris and Bill. Their posts will get you to an answer faster than mine!

One of the nice things about Winnebago is they provide a lot of information on their coaches. Here is a link I use often:

Winnebago Industries - Manuals and Diagrams

The parts list for your coach (link here, reachable via the link above) shows slide parts (starting at page 158 of 276). The broken part in your picture may be one of the two styles of hangar bolts listed on the ram assembly.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
LeeB-

I'm just adding a bit to the help supplied by "Gormleys," Chris and Bill. Their posts will get you to an answer faster than mine!

One of the nice things about Winnebago is they provide a lot of information on their coaches. Here is a link I use often:

Winnebago Industries - Manuals and Diagrams

The parts list for your coach (link here, reachable via the link above) shows slide parts (starting at page 158 of 276). The broken part in your picture may be one of the two styles of hangar bolts listed on the ram assembly.

Mark thanks I have been all over that site and yes I found the Hanger Bolt on page 158 but like Bill said I have to measure and make sure I order the correct one. I store the MH here at home but I have to pull it out in order to open the slide. I'll do that later today and crawl under and look at things a littler better and also see if this is something I can do myself. I hope so because around here they charge upwards of $150.00 and hour and take their sweet time doing things...
Thanks so much both of you guys..
LeeB
Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Lee it's pretty easy to replace yourself. You may have to force the storage bins down 1/2 or 1 in or so to get the new one in. Should be no problem.
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Lee it's pretty easy to replace yourself. You may have to force the storage bins down 1/2 or 1 in or so to get the new one in. Should be no problem.
Bill

Depending what I find under there I may just go ahead and replace them both..

Thanka again LeeB
Old 09-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before replacing the bolt, it would be a good idea to determine why it broke to see if something else needs to be repaired or adjusted to keep it from happening again.

Contact Paul Maddox at 1-602-549-3638 or email pfmaddox@att.net

He does troubleshooting for HWH.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #12

It’s a fairly common failure.

As noted in post #5, Winnebago has larger bolts to address the issue

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #13

Saga of the Broken Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Winnebago Motorized Customer Care
(800) 537-1885 - Toll Free
Winnebago Contact Us

I missed this post somehow? I will be calling Monday. I have the Bolt in Question out. Called HWH and will be getting a call back sometime in December they said?
Quote:
Good luck,
Bill
Stuarts in Elkhart were NO help at all told me to call HWH.

Quote:
Bill
Yes I have it out and still searching my options. Trying to find a new one. It is very unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Before replacing the bolt, it would be a good idea to determine why it broke to see if something else needs to be repaired or adjusted to keep it from happening again.
Contact Paul Maddox at 1-602-549-3638 or email pfmaddox@att.net
He does troubleshooting for HWH.
I called Paul and he retuned my call and told me it is very common problem. He suggested getting it welded or replaced. He had no idea why they break he replaced his several years ago and it has not broke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
It’s a fairly common failure.
As noted in post #5, Winnebago has larger bolts to address the issue
Still looking.. Here is whats left after Broken Bolt removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt Removed.png
Views:	34
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	302387