Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

When I use Streets and Trips to lay out a route it often chooses one or two roads where I would prefer to use an alternate route.

The only way that I seem to be able to modify the route is to put a "stop" somewhere on the desired alternate route. But this has a bad side effect, namely, it almost always generates some sort of exit from the route with an immediate re-entry ... on the open road this is not a problem ... but it often causes confusion when I am trying to follow the explicit directions to a rally or campground ...

I have used DeLorme's software in the past and they have a "VIA" button to do what I want to do ... I can't seem to find "VIA" in Streets and Trips ... did I miss something ...

Thanks
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

When I use Streets and Trips to lay out a route it often chooses one or two roads where I would prefer to use an alternate route.

The only way that I seem to be able to modify the route is to put a "stop" somewhere on the desired alternate route. But this has a bad side effect, namely, it almost always generates some sort of exit from the route with an immediate re-entry ... on the open road this is not a problem ... but it often causes confusion when I am trying to follow the explicit directions to a rally or campground ...

I have used DeLorme's software in the past and they have a "VIA" button to do what I want to do ... I can't seem to find "VIA" in Streets and Trips ... did I miss something ...

Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You can drag and drop the route to any road.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

When I drag and drop S and T adds a "stop"

For Example, start of trip is Oshkosh, WI, end of trip Des Moines, IA

[Get Directions] takes me around the legs of a right triangle through Illinois ... this is further and 55 mph speed limit ... I know there is a good 4 lane road from Madison, WI to Cedar Rapids ... so when I drag and drop, S and T puts a stop between Dubuque and Cedar Rapids (for instance) ... I don't want a stop ... I just want the route to be on this highway ...

S and T will pick out a nearby intersection and tell me to exit from US-151 and then to immediately re-enter ...
Old 08-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've wondered the same thing...how to choose an alternate route without adding a 'stop.' That was a feature I did like about DeLorme.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

"By George I think he's got it"

I used the "detour" feature ... it changed the route without adding a stop ...

Tom your previous answer caused me to re-read "help" and I tried the detour ... works like a charm ...

THANK YOU ...
Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When you want to use an alternate route I think you have to use the Push Pins. You place a push pin (give it a name) then place it in the route. You then place another push pin along the alternate route so you force the routing to go along those roads you want. May take a couple of push pins but I think that is how you can go an alternate route.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Favoring or avoiding streets or areas is very, very clunky in MS S&T (to me at least.) I don't use S&T for live navigation (because it doesn't do live routing or re-routing) but I do use it sometimes for planning purposes.

The only way I have found to make it avoid (or favor if you will) streets is to select the "square" icon (next to the "hand" icon) and make a box around the area you want to avoid. Then select the drop down menu "Route" then click on "Avoid Area."

We use CoPilot Live 9 for navigating and most route planning. The user interface is very well thought out and pretty intuitive but it has its learning curve as well (but nowhere near that of Delorme.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Even though drag and drop places a stop, the stop is for zero time. The yellow square does clutter the map though.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote