Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 AM   #1

cage around drivers compartment

How is this cage connected to the coach frame.?
tobychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobychick View Post
How is this cage connected to the coach frame.?
tobychick,, It's mostly welded to the subframe. In the chassis fabrication shop, a tubular subframe is built which is as wide and as long as the coach body. This subframe makes it possible to hold the floor and build storage compartments. The "box" is then fitted to the sub frame and is welded. Bolting the box to the frame would add a probability of separation or a fastener becoming loose or breaking. I hope this gives you a better insight as to how the coach is built.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Winnebago makes a great cage around the passengers. I wrecked one and it held together just fine. They are built to last.
Moosemuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #4

cage around

I was told that nothing is supposed to be welded to the FRAME, meaning the coach frame.
Had a clanking noise in the coach, my mech said " the weld broke on the cage, & he drew a diagram, he rewelded the broken weld w/ the coach on the jacks.
The question: Could this cause the coach to lean on the drivers side which is the rewelded side.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobychick View Post
The question: Could this cause the coach to lean on the drivers side which is the re-welded side.
No one here can second guess the welder without looking at the weld. I am concerned about where the jacks were placed for welding. I am hoping that the jacks were not set on the frame thereby lifting the chassis passed the original weld line. This might create a condition you are describing but I doubt it.

I don't think that he would have done that. Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) {read coach builders} routinely weld their coach bodies fittings to the chassis. There is no other way to insert tab A into opening B since there are a dozen coach builders. None do it the same way. For instance, when a frame is sectioned, (stretched) the slug is welded in place using gusset plates.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #6

cage around

We used the coach jacks to raise the coach.