Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Can you safely run two different brands of tires?

We need new Dualy tires - the steering tires are 3 y/o and seem in good shape the tires are all Goodyear, I want to put Michelin of the same size on the Dualy's. The main issues I see is the Goodyears are rated 65 mph the Michelins are 75mph.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My non-expert opinion is the front tires should be the same type and the duallys should be the same type, which works fine for me. I do have a dually spare that I would use on the front after a blowout providing the distance was short. If I could not fine an exact replacement then I would replace both fronts together.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

As greystoke says , never mix brands/tread pattern on an axle.
Front to rear; different; did it all the time on RWDrive cars, when installing winter tread , no ill effects.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Been running Bridgestones on the front, Michelins (original) on the rears for 5K miles, no problems!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
As greystoke says , never mix brands/tread pattern on an axle.
Front to rear; different; did it all the time on RWDrive cars, when installing winter tread , no ill effects.
I will second this, Front axle both tires should be same brand, size, age, etc.

Rear axle all tires should be same brand, size, age, etc

Etc includes model I might add)

Front and rear... Need not be same.

Note also.. Air pressure may be different both front to rear and side to side, this is determined by a scale and a chart. Ideally however your load is balanced side to side, and in that case pressure will be the same side to side.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will second this, Front axle both tires should be same brand, size, age, etc.

Rear axle all tires should be same brand, size, age, etc

Etc includes model I might add)

Front and rear... Need not be same.

Note also.. Air pressure may be different both front to rear and side to side, this is determined by a scale and a chart. Ideally however your load is balanced side to side, and in that case pressure will be the same side to side.
Do NOT mix air pressures on the same axle!! Find the heaviest side and run the required pressure across all tires on the axle. This is in the RV Tire Manuals from the various tire companies.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

wa8yxm - it seems I've always read all tires on an axle should be the same. Do I understand you to say they can be different side to side? The right rear on my motorhome comes in several hundred pounds heavier than the drivers side rear. I've maintain pressure for the heaviest side. Am I doing it wrong? Is it safe to have lower pressure on the lighter side?
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have Michelin on the front, Goodyear on the dullys. No issues so far.

Would never mix on the same axle, as others have said.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

As said, run one pressure across an axle. Different brands and different pressures on different axles only.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your time and answers!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

So, what happens if the left duals are one brand and the right duals are another brand?
I have had 3 or 4 blow-outs, all on the right inside rear. In considering the interior layout, I think we store more heavier items on the right (curb side). It isn't convenient to shift more to the other side. There isn't sufficient storage room for that. We did place some caned goods in the two drawers below the dinette benches.
I am trying something different. I had two Goodyear tires placed on the right side and two Michelins placed on the left side today. I am using two Michelins that are not ready for replacement.
The maximum air pressure for the Goodyear tires is 110 psi. The maximum air pressure for the Michelins is 90 psi. I am running 100 psi in the right side Goodyears and 90 in the left side Michelins. Not that it matters, but, the lower air pressure is on the supposedly higher side of the road.
Go ahead and comment. Your guess is as good as mine. Or is there tried and proved results. So, what ya thing??
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Keep the same brand and size on an axle. So you can replace the fronts or the rears, but do not mix different tires on one axle...except in an emergency.

Ken
Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I guess no one really knows the answer to my question. But, I enjoyed reading the opinions.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The tire companies say not to. That's pretty difinitive IMHO.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
So, what happens if the left duals are one brand and the right duals are another brand?
I have had 3 or 4 blow-outs, all on the right inside rear. In considering the interior layout, I think we store more heavier items on the right (curb side). It isn't convenient to shift more to the other side. There isn't sufficient storage room for that. We did place some caned goods in the two drawers below the dinette benches.
I am trying something different. I had two Goodyear tires placed on the right side and two Michelins placed on the left side today. I am using two Michelins that are not ready for replacement.
The maximum air pressure for the Goodyear tires is 110 psi. The maximum air pressure for the Michelins is 90 psi. I am running 100 psi in the right side Goodyears and 90 in the left side Michelins. Not that it matters, but, the lower air pressure is on the supposedly higher side of the road.
Go ahead and comment. Your guess is as good as mine. Or is there tried and proved results. So, what ya thing??
I think we all know what we should do. I had a blowout on the back tires so I replaced all four. I had a blowout on the front so I replace both fronts. Right thing to do. But both my blowouts occured on weekends so there is a limited selection. I don't know if I can keep doing this on my limited budget. So some day I might have to deviate from this. The tires in the back are almost identical to the tread on the front tires.

As far as Air Pressure I always have the same pressure on my back and my fronts have the same pressure.

I monitor the pressures with my 507 and have found the back tires increase in unison as the temps increase. Same with the front. I feel better doing it this way than offsetting pressures. Just my opinion.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: It always amazes me that people have an opinion based simply on something they have heard. Anyway, I think in this case the majority are right. The problem with using different brands on the same axle is that even the same size from different manufacturers are different diameters. That means that for duals one takes the majority of the load--it is not shared equally.

Different diameters from one side to the other should also be avoided because that makes the differential work harder and if on the steer axle might cause the vehicle to wander.

The real opinion question is: How often should tires be replaced? And the answer is: Whatever works for you. I like about 10 years if the tires are maintained and show no signs of cracking. Wait for responses or 6 years or some other arbitrary answer.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Hmmmm, I have always rotated the tires when we had the dually. All were the same brand and size and all were worn the same(from rotating) so when it came time to buy new ones, all were replaced with the same brand, size etc.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

BarbOD,
No! Don't intermix on the same axle.

Maintain the same air pressure across the axle on all tires on that axle.

Use the manufacturer's tire inflation charts to determine the proper inflation, but only if you know the individual tire pressures and use the heavies load for your inflation pressure.

If you do not know what the weight for each side of the axle is, use the max pressure across the axle.

Those are the answers from both Goodyear, and Michelin.

Also check out the Tireman's Blog on tire safety. You can also find him on this forum and ask him a question.

Happy trails.

Edited: p.s., Most of us start out with all 6 (or 10) tires the same. I know nothing about TAG axles so someone else can expound on that. For just two axles, and assuming that a tire goes bad on a dual tire side, buy two tires, typically of the same brand, but maybe a different model, and place them on the front. Take the two tires off the front that match the dually and put them on the dually axle. Then you have matching tires across the axle.

When you have a blow out, in most cases both tires should be replaced on a dual set. Most likely the air was low in the blow out tire and this caused a strain on the other tire. Without xray testing it is near impossible to determine tire structural damage. So if you were to have a blow out of another set of duals, take the other side duals and place them on the front. Place the front on one side duals and buy matching tires for that axle. Most of the time you can rotate to mach tires on an axle.

If you are still looking for the "right" answer, both Goodyear and Michelin have toll free numbers and their technicians will be happy to inform you of their requirements.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

The tire companies say "DO NOT" because that way they sell more tires.

The correct answer, given by many is do not mix brands on the same axle.. But there is no problem having one make on the front and a DIFFERENT make on the rear.

Just make sure all the "Same axle" tires are from the same litter as it were, (Same Make, Model, Size, Tread, Age and so on).

SO, in short, your plan is sound provided the front tires are not senior tire-azens.. IF they are like 7 years old .. They are due for replacement.

The advice howver holds.. Replace the two of them with the same brand, NOT necessarly the same as the other 4.

Some vehices even run different SIZE tires front and rear.. But all the tires on the same axle have to be the same.

Tags
tires