Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #1

Lightbulb Carrying a motor scooter

Before I reinvent the wheel. Has anyone got a carrier that is powered up and down to carry a scooter on a itasca 24g with the rear slide?
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bike View Post
Before I reinvent the wheel. Has anyone got a carrier that is powered up and down to carry a scooter on a itasca 24g with the rear slide?
Silver Bike,
Well Sir, there's all kinds of remedies for your situation. First off, what needs to be known is,
1. What's "Scooter" you're talking about (type, size, weight etc)?
2. What's GAWR of the rear axle of your coach
3. What does the rig actually weigh, front, rear and total?
4. Is your coach equipped with an "add-on" section of the frame, like many do?

You see, we can answer your question if a bit more info is supplied. If the rig is not too close to being at its limits in terms of carrying "extra" weight on the rear, and, you don't have too much over hang, and, the "scooter" is not too heavy, then you may not need a mechanical advantage "lift".

All you may need is a hauler that can utilize either one, two or three receivers, mounted on the rear of your coach. Obviously the more receivers the more stable the hauler and, the stronger it would be. Again, depending on just what you're implying of a "Scooter", I've built one that hauled a Yamaha TW 200 (weight approximately 275-300 lbs) and, it was equipped to tow a toad behind it. All that was needed in loading the bike was a ramp.

It worked flawless. The ramp was held to the hauler between the bike and the coach when in transit. We normally used two people to load and off load the bike but, one could do it if needed. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Now, if you're on the handy-capped side and cannot physically load any type of scooter, then, there's a number of lifts out on the market for your situation.

Hydralift makes the best one on the market. They're proud of it too. It runs about $4500, before tax and shipping.

Overbuilt also makes one. I'm not a fan of it and the others that use a winch/cable system to lift the bike but, that's a personal preference. Too many points of failure, in my opinion.

Blue Ox makes a lift too.

Cruiserlift also makes one.

So, there's some ideas for you to ponder over. Hope it helps some. Good luck. I've hauled many bikes on the back of coaches and have done all my own installs. If you have any questions, PM me and I'd be glad to help.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

I have been carrying a Yamaha XT225 dual purpose bike for over a decade, from Florida to Alaska, using a hitch carrier identical to this one:

Single Motorcycle Carrier

Running the bike up the ramp and securing it, has always been a simple one-man old-man 5 minute job.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bike View Post
First off... Are you talking about a scooter as in a motor scooter like a Vespa?

Or are you talking about a handicap mobility scooter?
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #5

On a Navion 24G a with the rear slide you would be limited to a 150cc scooter at best due to the weight limitations and many power lifts would probably block the slide from opening even after the bike was unloaded.

What size scooter are you talking about? Make, model and weight would help.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #6

The scooter is a kymco 200 weighs 245 pounds . Loading and unloading is not a problem . The problem is the rear slide . I want to be able to push a button the scooter goes down and the slide can open without unloading ? The plan is to use a tounge jack that is powered . I've carrier every thing from dirt bikes to 800 pound motorcycles on the back bumper with 3 receivers. I was just checking if anyone had made there own power lift . Sorry I didn't put that in the first post.
Silver bike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, scooter