Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Cautionary Black Water Tank Tale

2002 Winnebago Brave 32V

Last weekend we took the grandkids camping and after two days I noticed that there was sewage leaking from the black water compartment, not from the valves. The leak was minor at first so I decided to fill the tank and drain it and not use it until I got it home to check it out.

As the tank got full, the sewage started pouring out...yikes what a mess. I got the unit home and after pulling the control panel out (difficult) I saw that the black 3" ABS pipe that runs from the tank outlet to the drain valves had completely disconnected. I removed the access panel over the propane tank and saw that the vent pipe from the tank to the roof was probably just pressed in. I pulled up on the vent pipe and felt some resistance, but wanted to remove the pipe so I could clean and inspect the connection. What I didn't know is that the wires to the rear slide, bathroom light and isle light were all tie-wrapped to the vent. In the process I managed to tear loose the connections to the light switches and destroyed the slide switch (Camping World had an exact replacement). You can use a sharp box cutter to cut along the bottom of the cabinet and pry loose the panel inside the bathroom to gain access to the switches/vent pipe.

After I got the black water tank out and cleaned I saw that the rubber union was glued to the tank, it was too sloppy to have been done at the factory (I think), but at least it held. It wasn't glued at the pipe. The unions are rubber and have stainless hose clamps that secure the pipe ends. In my opinion they are too short as they only grab about an inch and a half of the pipe ends. I obviously spent a lot of time flooding/scrubbing the compartment with water and disinfectant and using a leaf blower and fans was able to dry it out.

The tank has sturdy brackets that keeps the tank from moving front to rear but nothing that I could see to keep it from moving from side to side, other than a bolt that was screwed into a bracket directly above the top read edge of the tank. I placed a piece of wood beneath the bolt on the top edge of the tank and unloosened the bolt to put downward pressure on the tank; hopefully this will provide some stability.

Although everything is back together and tight I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the valve assembly can still be lifted up and down. I think that this movement may have contributed to the pipe pulling out of the union at the tank. The valve assembly controls are right next to the stiff rear suspension and are probably subjected to a lot a jarring.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Anyone had a similar problem and/or solution?

Roy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

I've got a small problem of water leaking from behind utility panel after the water is heated. I've been procrasinating since it does not leak all the time. You may have provided me the motivation needed. It will be a good time to inspect the other tanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
I've got a small problem of water leaking from behind utility panel after the water is heated. I've been procrasinating since it does not leak all the time. You may have provided me the motivation needed. It will be a good time to inspect the other tanks.
Taking my control panel out was a Royal PITA. All of my water connections (compression) could be reached with long handle pliers without taking the panel out, but it would be difficult to see the connection at the tank without special equipment. My hose clamps at the 90-degree elbow at the drains were very loose and I believe that I could have tightened them with a 1/4" ratchet and a 5/16" socket.

You might loosen the clamps at the elbow and see if you can turn the 3" drain pipe by hand, if you can, even a little, it might be worth the effort to make the repair...rather than go through what I did.

Another possibility would be to remove the access panel and with a mirror attached to a pole and a bright light you might be able to see some seepage.

As a side story, once the black water tank was out I could see the same union/clamps at the gray water tank but it was deep inside the floor space. I was able to talk my little 7-year old grandson into crawling into the 12" space with the aforementioned ratchet/socket and tighten the clamps...he's a gutsy little trooper and loves to help me work on my vehicles.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #4

You might want to bring the boy and hire him out. Seems small hands and body would definitely be an asset. Hook a small camera his head and you could direct from the easy chair. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hook a small camera his head and you could direct from the easy chair. Thanks for the tips.
Now thats an idea.lol
Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
You might want to bring the boy and hire him out. Seems small hands and body would definitely be an asset. Hook a small camera his head and you could direct from the easy chair. Thanks for the tips.
Oh boy, that's all my wife would have had to see. I suppose some people would be shocked at what I did, but I want this kid to grow up to be a man in a future world of shemales that use eye liner and get pedicures, besides I never let him get any deeper than I could reach his ankles to drag him out if it proved to be necessary.