Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ceiling Fan Noise

Does anyone else have a problem with their ceiling fan making a clicking or knocking noise when running? I just ordered a brand new one and installed it this last weekend and it makes the same annoying noise. Anybody got a fix?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not that I've noticed. The only problem I have with the MH fan and the bedroom ceiling fan in the stick home is the rythmetic hum on a lower speed.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem with our bedroom ceiling fan. I don't believe the rattle like noise is from the motor. I believe it is from the fan blades themselves. If you wiggle one side, the blade on the side seems to rattle a bit. I have tried to tighten the screws on the fan blade, but it did not change anything. It is almost like the flat plastic blade rattles from flexing itself. I tried installing a wider mount that the rotating blade assembly connects to on the motor shaft, tried replacing the motor, all to no avail. Next up is to look at replacing all the rubber gromments on the blade itself. I am also thinking of replacing the blades with some house fan blades I have in the attic. I think they are much thicker than the plastic blades that came on the OE fan.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

This week I took the old ceiling fan motor without the blades attached and held it in place in the vise on my workbench. I then hooked up a 12 volt battery charger to it to get it to spin. The darn motor seems to be the problem so I sprayed some WD 40 on the shaft where it goes into the bearing. At first I thought I cured the problem, but after a few minutes the clicking noise started again. I then took the motor out of the vise and reinstalled it with rubber insulation washers on both sides. This seems to at least deaden the sound but does not completly eliminate it. This weekend I plan on reinstalling the old motor with rubber washers on each side of the mounting screws. I will post my results later.

Sammie
Old 05-24-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have seen in a couple of parts catalogues from RV dealerships that the manufacturer makes a "quiet" kit. Ours (both of them) make noises as you described. We have found on one fan that the blades were loose. It was also suggested that we use the balance kit which came with the coach (in our misc. parts box). We haven't tried it yet...I guess we are getting used to the noise!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with their ceiling fan making a clicking or knocking noise when running? I just ordered a brand new one and installed it this last weekend and it makes the same annoying noise. Anybody got a fix?

Sammie
i am using a 12v infrared remote control 40" ceiling fan from BACKWOODS SOLAR in the bedroom. i installed it about 2 years ago. it works well with the slide in or out. it has 3 speeds and is reversible. it operates quietly.
backwoods solar ships quickly and imho has been a good company to deal with.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have same issue in bedroom.

I have the same clicking noise in my bedroom fan. I have taken it apart several times and believe that the problem is that the rotating hub is contacting screw heads or (head) because of the small clearance between the hub and mounting. I tried using a fine machine washer to open up the space, but if I remember, the amount of threads on the castle nut would not allow the fix.

All I can say is, take a look at the upper side of the fan blade hub for scratches, or while I am thinking about it, you might try doing something like your dentist does when he is try to find a high spot when you bite down.

Spray some flat black paint into the upper side of the hub and run the fan and look for some hits or scratches.

If someone concures with the problem we can start looking for the solution.

sweet dreams, RAB

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info Dan. I just took mine apart again and beat on it with a hammer. Now it seems to be running quiet We shall see.

Sammie