Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Ceiling vinyl separating from foam backing...

We just bought a 2006 Winnebago Tour 40. The first time we camped one side of a ceiling covering separated from its foam backing. I thought we had a leak...but no water anywhere. On our next short trip 3 more panels did the same. Still no water anywhere. Other forums are telling us this can happen due to humidity causing glue to give way from foam backing. Anyone else have this problem.

Hoping warranty covers it if not will have to get creative with solution...
Tigrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

Nope, I've never had it happen to me in over 50 yrs of RV'ing! Last rig we had for 13 years and nothing like that happened to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have seen it happen in cars. I doubt you can fix it without replacing the whole headliner. There are automotive repair shops that specialize in this. Do a web search under "headliner replacement".
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrbob View Post
We just bought a 2006 Winnebago Tour 40. The first time we camped one side of a ceiling covering separated from its foam backing. I thought we had a leak...but no water anywhere. On our next short trip 3 more panels did the same. Still no water anywhere. Other forums are telling us this can happen due to humidity causing glue to give way from foam backing. Anyone else have this problem.

Hoping warranty covers it if not will have to get creative with solution...
This is a problem I've seen before in Florida on a 2008 Tour. Humidity appeared to be the culprit as there was no evidence of water intrusion. I contacted Winnebago service facility in Junction City, Oregon for an estimate on the repair. It was significant enough for me to consider other options.
Cuffemdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffemdude View Post
This is a problem I've seen before in Florida on a 2008 Tour. Humidity appeared to be the culprit as there was no evidence of water intrusion. I contacted Winnebago service facility in Junction City, Oregon for an estimate on the repair. It was significant enough for me to consider other options.

Thanks...what other options did you consider?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:44 AM   #6

Two thoughts:

The foam-backed vinyl ceiling panels in RVs are the same as those used in many boats. If there are no RV shops with experience at this, you might call around to boat repair shops. They should have experience with water and humidity.

Some 3M spray adhesive, and light pressure until the adhesive cures, will probably fix it. It may be difficult to do without getting a wrinkle in the vinyl. The boat shop probably has good advice on that.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, my 2005 Itasca Meridian did the same thing. I had to have 5 of the 9 ceiling panel redone. Hated to have to pay Lazydays Florida price but I didn't have the skill or knowledge to do it myself.

The pattern on the material Winnebago originally used wasn't available, but the replacement they have is so close you have to look real close to see the difference. Color was a perfect match as far as I can tell.

Looks like new now.

Don't ask what I paid, it'll scare you like it did me.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

This is a common problem with that era of Winnebago's. My 05 Vectra has the same problem and a friends 04 has also had the issue. he had his repaired at Apalachee RV in Atlanta for what seemed to be a reasonable cost. Mine will be going in this fall after I leave my current workkamping assignment in Maine
Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #9

I worry about mine in the Adventurer. At this time the ceiling vinyl is perfect but I dread the day when I look up and see a sag starting to form.

The old girl is in storage for the summer, covered and inside. Hoping for the best.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrbob View Post
Thanks...what other options did you consider?
Sorry...I wasn't clear. The 2008 was a coach I considered purchasing (ended up with an '07). The owner advised of the headliner issue and provided photos of the same. As it was explained to me by Winnebago service, the headliner comes in panels. Labor was the biggest piece of this repair. I never checked with an independent shop to determine if it could be done cheaper, but I suspect it could.
Cuffemdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

We have a 2007 Winnebago Adventurer and our ceiling did the same thing. We found out the hard way that when that happens it cannot be reattached. We got several estimates ranging from 6K to 10K to replace the entire ceiling, which we thought to be beyond crazy. We saw an RV remodel on Pinterest where the ceiling was replaced by bead paneling, and it actually looked better than our original ceiling. We ended up doing the same with ours and it turned out great. Total cost--around 400 bucks and I did it myself with occasional help from my wife. I did use a different material for the bathroom area because of moisture from the shower.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Headliner repair

Winnebago charges $1,500 per panel. They pretend it's not a common problem, but more and more Winnebago coaches in that year span are starting with the same headliner sag. Re glueing does not work.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC1225 View Post
We have a 2007 Winnebago Adventurer and our ceiling did the same thing. We found out the hard way that when that happens it cannot be reattached. We got several estimates ranging from 6K to 10K to replace the entire ceiling, which we thought to be beyond crazy. We saw an RV remodel on Pinterest where the ceiling was replaced by bead paneling, and it actually looked better than our original ceiling. We ended up doing the same with ours and it turned out great. Total cost--around 400 bucks and I did it myself with occasional help from my wife. I did use a different material for the bathroom area because of moisture from the shower.
Thanks very much! How difficult was it to remove the foam backing? Did you consider cork ceiling tile? Dealer tells me my warranty would cover this repair but nothing they have said so far has been true so doubt this will be either...
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC1225 View Post

Any chance you have pictures or a write up on how you repaired your ceiling. Im not positive what bead paneling is.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, vinyl