Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chalet

Does anyone have some definitive info on the Winnebago Chalet's ? Last I knew they were designated as rental units. I was looking at one on the web and when I asked for a link to a brochure I was sent one for Vista. I'm sure they are very, very similar but 3 years ago I contacted Winnebago and they said they were rental units. I'm wondering if that is still true.

Does anyone have factual info with links to that info ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Maybe contact Winnebago again?
Not much out there, except some ads for them in a Class C and in a Class A.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's my understanding. I don't have any specific current info, but in 2004 I rented a 30' Chalet Class A (which was Sightseer 30B in disguise). They probably have vinyl flooring (instead of any carpeting) and lack an awning. There may be other features that aren't present as well--I don't know for sure.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
It does have vinyl but we are fine with that. Shag carpet just doesn't cut it for us. The differences that would normally be present would be the lack of an awning and generator. Both of those items are present.

I have written to Winnebago to ask for any possible sales info on that unit. I did supply the VIN and the Winnie number. I did a somewhat limited carfax type report and the only history that shows up are the NHTSB recalls. Just 7 but it showed no accidents or thefts.

Time will tell. I also asked Winnebago why no Chalet brochures exist.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Chalet rental in 2004 did have a generator.

Given the Winnebago SN you can enter the last 5 digits here: Service Parts List and get the full, as-built parts list for that coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
My main interest is was it sold as a rental. Granted not everyone who rents is destructive but we go to a NASCAR race every year and I've seen how some rentals are (ab)used, but thanks for parts build pointer.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #7

I do know the Chalet class C motorhomes were originally built for the rental market. Having said that Winnebago often recycles nameplates, and could have made a model for the general public.

A quick look at the 2008 owners manuals reveals there were at least 4 different models produced that year. There were models designated as series D and series E that were class A models. There were also the 200 series and the 300 series that were class C models.

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...anuals2008.php

A quick look for Chalet motorhomes comes up with the newest units available being built in 2015. I'm not sure if that means they discontinued the model in 2015, or the newer ones are still in service.

The only models I am aware of that were produced for the rental market were the 200 and 300 series models. According to the 2008 owners manuals a generator was an option for both the 200 and 300 series that year.

We just got back from an 8 week trip to Alaska. The last time we were there (2013) the majority of the rental RV's on the road were Winnebago Chalets. This time we didn't see a single one. All the Winnebago rentals were either Vista's or Minnie Winnies.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting info. Because the one I am passively looking at is a 2011 I changed the date and it came up. In looking at the designation it is listed as a 32 KR. In the Vista line, which is really the same, it is listed as a 32 K. Does the "R" mean rental ???

Hoping to hear from Winnebago soon.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2012 Chalet, it was a rental sister to the Access, Aspect, or something like that I've forgotten. It has an awning and gen set, no slide, bought in 2015 with 14,000 miles and new tires. Now has 22,000 miles with 0 problems. We are long time RV owners and wanted something that didn't require much upkeep. Some dealers change out their rental every 2 years or so. Only things we had done was an aleignment because it drove like a farm wagon and a new valve on the propane tank. Good luck
Old 09-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll assume you are referring to a class C. One issue at this point is the dealer is non responsive. We are not dead set on making any move. We just want to move to 32' with bunks.

Because we do not need to "upgrade" it is not imperative that we find one. I'm certainly not gonna beg a dealer to please take my money. I'll shoot them one more email and then just scratch them off my list. They are 850 miles away so they aren't the only game in town.