RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've seen alot people mention or ask about changing out their house batteries to the golf cart deep cycle type. I did that this weekend in my class C Minnie Winne. They fit just fine.

Like many of the coaches here, my house batteries are located under the step in the entrance to the coach. I was concerned that the height of the Trojan T-105's might be too high for the space. After measuring, I discovered they would work fine. There is almost a couple of inches of space between them and the top of the step.

Changing the batteries was easy. However, if you use a taller battery, your battery hold down bolts are going to be too short. I went to several automotive stores and looked for an long hold-down bolt that was 11 inches. The longest I found was 10. I tried Ace hardware too, as the orginal is a square shouldered bolt commonly found at hardware stores. They had lots of the bolts, but none long enough. I eventually bought some threaded rod (5/16th, which is the orginal size) and made my own. I cut the rod 11 inches, screwed on a nylock nut and put a washer on top. Inserted it into the hole in the battery tray (from the bottom) and you got yourself a new hold down rod that will fit your new Trojans.

I have some pictures I will try to post for you to see in a few minutes.

Darryl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've seen alot people mention or ask about changing out their house batteries to the golf cart deep cycle type. I did that this weekend in my class C Minnie Winne. They fit just fine.

Like many of the coaches here, my house batteries are located under the step in the entrance to the coach. I was concerned that the height of the Trojan T-105's might be too high for the space. After measuring, I discovered they would work fine. There is almost a couple of inches of space between them and the top of the step.

Changing the batteries was easy. However, if you use a taller battery, your battery hold down bolts are going to be too short. I went to several automotive stores and looked for an long hold-down bolt that was 11 inches. The longest I found was 10. I tried Ace hardware too, as the orginal is a square shouldered bolt commonly found at hardware stores. They had lots of the bolts, but none long enough. I eventually bought some threaded rod (5/16th, which is the orginal size) and made my own. I cut the rod 11 inches, screwed on a nylock nut and put a washer on top. Inserted it into the hole in the battery tray (from the bottom) and you got yourself a new hold down rod that will fit your new Trojans.

I have some pictures I will try to post for you to see in a few minutes.

Darryl
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try this link to my photo page.

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ery%20Upgrade/

Also, I added a high amp fuse for my Prosine inverter that is shown in the battery compartment.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #4

Darryl, you will be glad you made the switch. I put in 4 trojan T125's and like you, I have not been able to find the 11 inch by 5/16 carriage bolts. I will keep looking.

Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #5

Sometimes when I get in a bind for something like that I purchase threaded rod and cut to length. Just and idea.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, that's what I did for the time being David. It will be fine if I don't find any 11 inch carriage bolts, but I'm still looking. I'm very pleased with how everything came out. The Trojans should really help out now that I've added the inverter.

I appreciate your suggestion.

Darryl