Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Cbeierl may just be correct in that you may not have a BIRD. He is correct in the wya the isolating solenoid works to charge your house batteries from the alternator. SEe my earlier post on how to test the solenoid to see if it's functioning correctly.
Sound like you have the same setup as my 06 Journey. There are two solenoids there in the front compartment. The one near the center, the smaller of the two, disconnects 12 v power to the house.

Forgive me for asking, but is the switch that disconnects the 12 v power (by using the disconnect solenoid) turned on? On my unit its the second switch from the top, on the left side of the dash.

If it is on, is the center solenoid working? I *think* both of these relays need to function properly, otherwise the house batteries may be isolated.

Worth checking.

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

RV'nOldTimer
My Switch is located on the right side of the dash second button down
and yes it is turned on. I am able to turn on the power and turn everything off
when I am done. I have not determined if the coil is good yet. Today in virginia
temp 36 with sleet and a little snow. I thought is was spring? Im going to keep Looking for the problem until I find it. Everyone has been a great help. This is my fourth motorhome and my first diesel. When I first noticed I had a problem we were
returning home from a trip to kentucky. I pulled into a rest area and tryed to start the generator. It would not turn over . So I started the motorhome and checked the
meter on the wall and it showed that the engine was not charging the batterys to the coach.

Jeff
01 Journey 36GD 330 Cat
2002 Honda CRV
Blue OX
01 Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 Journey View Post
RV'nOldTimer
My Switch is located on the right side of the dash second button down
and yes it is turned on. I am able to turn on the power and turn everything off
when I am done. I have not determined if the coil is good yet. Today in virginia
temp 36 with sleet and a little snow. I thought is was spring? Im going to keep Looking for the problem until I find it. Everyone has been a great help. This is my fourth motorhome and my first diesel. When I first noticed I had a problem we were
returning home from a trip to kentucky. I pulled into a rest area and tryed to start the generator. It would not turn over . So I started the motorhome and checked the
meter on the wall and it showed that the engine was not charging the batterys to the coach.

Jeff
01 Journey 36GD 330 Cat
2002 Honda CRV
Blue OX

Oops. You're right, I misspoke. The switch is on the right. If its turning the DC power on and off that relay must be functioning OK. I had trouble in that area a few weeks age and thought it was the relay but it was a failed Trik-L- Start device. Unless you've added one (Trik-L-Start) it won't be a factor since they weren't installed at the factory prior to '06. I have not had an occasion to explore the circuitry between the alternator and the batteries, so don't have any hands on experience there.

JT
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Another thought. I don't recall any mention as to whether or not the coach batteries are being charged by other charging systems, i.e., from external power or the generator. When plugged in to external power, what is the voltage reading for them? Also, same question when running the genny. This might give a clue as to the problem. I assumed these systems were functioning properly but that could be a false assumption.

JT
Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Yes the batteries are being charged form external power and when running the
generator. The meter reads 13.8 Volts when batteries are being charged.
01 Journey is offline   Reply With Quote