Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #1

Once again I'm asking for some suggestions. This time it's an annoying Check Engine light. We've been plagued with this thing a number of times. At first, we reacted quickly and had Cummins look at it. It was a minor problem with an EGR sensor all fouled up due to a nasty oil leak. They simply cleaned it and reset the code and off I went. It came on again the following year and I took it back to Cummins. They saw on the computer that is was showing as a fault but the problem causing it remained unidentified. They said it is most likely a minor issue and unless the engine should "de-rate" or run poorly, just run it. After a given number of "key-starts" the Check Eng. light goes out. Well, here we are a few days from heading south for the winter and the darn thing came on after my second start since the coach was in storge (just under 2 months). We're ichin to head south but staring at that darn light is a bummer. Has anyone ever encountered this type of a condition? Thanks in advance,
Tagalong
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #2

Once again I'm asking for some suggestions. This time it's an annoying Check Engine light. We've been plagued with this thing a number of times. At first, we reacted quickly and had Cummins look at it. It was a minor problem with an EGR sensor all fouled up due to a nasty oil leak. They simply cleaned it and reset the code and off I went. It came on again the following year and I took it back to Cummins. They saw on the computer that is was showing as a fault but the problem causing it remained unidentified. They said it is most likely a minor issue and unless the engine should "de-rate" or run poorly, just run it. After a given number of "key-starts" the Check Eng. light goes out. Well, here we are a few days from heading south for the winter and the darn thing came on after my second start since the coach was in storge (just under 2 months). We're ichin to head south but staring at that darn light is a bummer. Has anyone ever encountered this type of a condition? Thanks in advance,
Tagalong
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #3

We had a problem like that with our CAT just after we got it. The problem was on that would only be of concern in the winter so there was no rush to fix it - but CAT did fix it.

To me, the annoying aspect is that we are not supplied with a diagnotic screen as standard equipment. The screen should provide the cause of all the error codes if they can be identified. If you have the light come on in the middle of no where you don't know if you should be driving it or what? The Help Desk says if it doesn't de-rate it is OK to continue. But, like you , who wants to be looking at the yellow light all the time and wondering.

For this reason I was going to get CAT's Pocket Tech but now I have to find the equivalent for Cummins.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #4

Don,

If you have a pc onboard you may want to look at VMSPC from Silverleaf.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #5

I'd take it to another Cummins dealer and have them fix it. What if it is a serious problem?
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #6

Thanks Don. This CK Eng. light tends to come on at start up. It usually goes out after a number of key start ups.
Thanks 3huskies. I've had this checked out and they even tried to find the error code. It does seem to be a minor error and something to do with emissions. I'll be calling Cummins after Christmas. Speaking of Christmas... hope you all enjoy the holidays.
Tagalong