Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Cleaning out the slide topper cover

I have a good deal of debris in the cover of my slide topper. Any ideas as to how to remove the cover to be able to clean out the sticks and leaves. I have a 2012 Journy 42E.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
KJD

Slide it out and take a leaf blower to it.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #3

I believe the ends can be removed, and the cover will open downward.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are screws at each end of the cover. They will be under some pressure when you take them out, as they help keep the curve in the cover. You should then be able to clean them in any fashion you see fit.

I would make sure that the slide is fully in and less tension on the topper itself. Once you get the cover off, then you can let the slide out.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Exclamation

Having just replaced my b/r slide topper I can give some advice.

Camping world had a 39.00 install special that I tried to take advantage of. Turns out the price was good only if I removed the old one. It was a full cover model from Dometic. If you are not careful that thing can take you hand off when the springs let go.

My advice is to use a leaf blower like was suggested.

It can be done but be careful and have help.

Roy
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can open the slide fully and manually unwind most of the remaining fabric from the top working from an 8 ft step ladder. Use a vise grip oil filter wrench with round jaws to take the tension off the roller tube once you have the fabric out. With most of the fabric off the roller tube and the tube clamped, you should have enough room between the cover and roller to be able to remove with your hands whatever is inside the cover from the step ladder. Much simpler and safer than removing the slide cover itself and you do not need to detach anything. Key is the vise grip wrench to hold the tensioned roller tube.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide