RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Coach heater fan

Can someone give me some insight on where to locate the heater fan (the one for the on-dash rocker switch, and whatís involved in fixing it. It just blows the fuse. Iíve read how they move on the shaft and hit something.
49Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #2

I have a 2000 32v and the blower motor was stuck when I bought ti. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. To find it you have crawl in behind the water heater and it is on the floor under the register right behind the doghouse. Good luck because if you are over a hundred pounds it is next to impossible to get to.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I have a 2000 32v and the blower motor was stuck when I bought ti. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it. To find it you have crawl in behind the water heater and it is on the floor under the register right behind the doghouse. Good luck because if you are over a hundred pounds it is next to impossible to get to.
Thanks for the reply. Iíve worked on the back of that water heater enough to know Iíll live without that coach heater. It looks like they couldíve provided some access to things.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #4

Are you talking about the dash fan for heat and a/c like in your car? Or are you talking about the auxiliary coach heater fan which has it's own separate dash mounted rocker switch. The auxiliary coach heater core and fan is mounted under the floor behind and between the driver's and passenger's seat.

I have an 04 Itasca Sunrise with a noisey auxiliary heater fan. I followed the noise. Still have not seen any access for repair.

Hope this helps.
moblguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/WH_...H_Repair-1.pdf

A detailed write up on the repair.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also had the same issue when I bought my 2001 32v.
If your floor plan is the same as mine, try this.
Remove the front floor heating vent cover...2 screws.
Carefully reach your arm into the duct towards the water heater side of the unit.
If you get into the duct far enough, you may feel the 'birdcage' for the fan.
Try rotating this fan. You may feel that the fan 'hits' the housing wall in which it is located.
So, Failure mode is: The birdcage has moved a little on the drive shaft and is now in a position to hit the wall of the housing when it turns. This results in an increase of resistance = increase in amps = fuse blows when it exceeds its design capacity.

I did the repair procedure years ago. It can be a little difficult, BUT having the Coach Heater is one of the BEST ASSETS of my unit.
As we leave the cold north in the winter, we never have to wear coats and our coach is always warm....front to back.
When we stop for the night in a cold or cool climate, we just 'kick up' the coach heater for a while before we stop and we have a warm and cozy unit ready for our evening meal and sleep.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moblguy View Post
Are you talking about the dash fan for heat and a/c like in your car? Or are you talking about the auxiliary coach heater fan which has it's own separate dash mounted rocker switch. The auxiliary coach heater core and fan is mounted under the floor behind and between the driver's and passenger's seat.

I have an 04 Itasca Sunrise with a noisey auxiliary heater fan. I followed the noise. Still have not seen any access for repair.

Hope this helps.
Auxiliary fan. Where youíre talking about is ďhard to get atĒ territory.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
I also had the same issue when I bought my 2001 32v.
If your floor plan is the same as mine, try this.
Remove the front floor heating vent cover...2 screws.
Carefully reach your arm into the duct towards the water heater side of the unit.
If you get into the duct far enough, you may feel the 'birdcage' for the fan.
Try rotating this fan. You may feel that the fan 'hits' the housing wall in which it is located.
So, Failure mode is: The birdcage has moved a little on the drive shaft and is now in a position to hit the wall of the housing when it turns. This results in an increase of resistance = increase in amps = fuse blows when it exceeds its design capacity.

I did the repair procedure years ago. It can be a little difficult, BUT having the Coach Heater is one of the BEST ASSETS of my unit.
As we leave the cold north in the winter, we never have to wear coats and our coach is always warm....front to back.
When we stop for the night in a cold or cool climate, we just 'kick up' the coach heater for a while before we stop and we have a warm and cozy unit ready for our evening meal and sleep.
I will give this a try. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Thank you for this. Great info.

Tags
fan, heat, heater