Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #1

Coach Lights Wiring

have a 2004 38' Adventurer. On a recent trip, we blew a tow dolly tire and had to call a wrecker to drag the dolly to a tire shop as the fender was wrapped up against the rim . The brake wiring was ripped out and I lost turn signals and front hazards on the coach, and when I apply the brakes, all the running and parking lights come on!I have brake lights and running lights. Have had a mobile repairman spend 2 hours and narrowed it down to the turn signal controller. However, the part was not available. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could the brake wires have shorted out the coach lights?
jim.cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rear end cap of the Winnebago is kinda large. Look. I found a huge light wire bundle just dangling there. Wires going to the tail lights and the trailer plug. This bundle was was flopping and swinging around with the coach moving. My lights were not working and a loose ground wire from this "bundle" was just barely hanging on to the frame. Put a new fitting on the wire and reset the wire to the frame and like "Magic" the lights worked. Then I tied off the wire bundle so it would not move. With you plug being yanked around, well you could have most any thing. Running down wiring light issues can be time consuming. Surprised to hear the turn signal was shorted out by this. Suppose it possible.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Cool Coach Wiring

Thanks for the suggested resolution but after having a technician, actually 2, it was traced to a short-circuited turn signal/multi purpose controller, the turn signal. Apparently, it was shoirt cuited when the electric brake wiring on the tow dolly was jerked out when we experienced the blow out.
jim.cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Real happy you found the issue. Stuff like that will make one crazy!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.cooney View Post
Thanks for the suggested resolution but after having a technician, actually 2, it was traced to a short-circuited turn signal/multi purpose controller, the turn signal. Apparently, it was shoirt cuited when the electric brake wiring on the tow dolly was jerked out when we experienced the blow out.
Jim, this has nothing to do with your FIXED problem but with the tow dolly issue. I dragged one of those things around for years and had several blowouts. The last one was a few months ago. I am now free of that pain in the knees as you can see from my signature. This is the best move I have made since I started RVing. 4 down is the only way to go. And, yes, we love our CR-V.

Happy Trails and many of them,

Rick Y
Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
I have been towing around a tow dolly for a long time and only had one flat. At that time I didn't carry a spare and had to pay for a new tire. The repairman was the one who clued me in that you have to have trailer tires on the tow dolly and not passenger tires which were on mine. Once home I changed the other tire to a trailer tire and knock on wood haven't had a problem. I do check the pressure in the tires before every use. I now carry a spare on the tongue of the dolly.

As for your electrical problem, I believe the shorted wires caused the controller to be bad.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, wiring