Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Comparing two different models

We have been looking at Fleetwood Bounders this past month but our search for a new to us Motorhome has taken us to not one but two Winnebagos. Both are for sale relatively close to us but we have not seen them in person yet and we are not familiar at all with these motorhomes.

Just looking for opinions on the following two models:

-2002 Winnebago Brave 32V, Workhorse 8.1, 38,885 miles. Seller indicated that it does need work which they are willing to cut the price to account for the work. Rear suspension needs repair, the front windshield needs to be replaced as it has leaked and the window is foggy. The right rear leveling jack moves up and down slowly. Drain at pump is broken. Needs new tires and carpeting is dirty. Husband doesn’t care about carpeting. He is handy and can replace this himself. Priced at $24,500 but willing to negotiate due to repairs needed.

-2005 Winnebago Sightseer 33L, Ford V10, 44,522 miles. Seller said they took off the stabilizers because they were not working but can replace them for a cost.

Both units are said to have a good roof and there are no soft spots or water marks (with the exception of the water mark in the 2002 Brave by the window leak).

From what I read, the Brave is discontinued and is hard to get parts for. Any thoughts on this?

Whatever RV we decide on, either one of these or one in the future, we would always have a certified mechanic go over the engine and trans.

We like both floorplans. I actually like the Brave’s floorplan a "little" better but not a deal breaker.
6ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
From what I have read parts are expensive and hard to find for the workhorse.

Winnies have a fiberglass roof and bounder has rubber which needs more maintenance and replacing. You should have covered storage for the bounder to get a longer life out of the roof.

Friend has a 38' bounder DP from 2008 and they like it. Only a few problems when it was new and then fine until the air leveling system went out and there is no replacement - they will have to find a place that can retrofit something newer to it.

We have a 1996 Itasca (winnie product) and have no problems getting parts. Winnie has all the shop drawings online so our DIY repairs are easier.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
From what I have read parts are expensive and hard to find for the workhorse.

Winnies have a fiberglass roof and bounder has rubber which needs more maintenance and replacing. You should have covered storage for the bounder to get a longer life out of the roof.

Friend has a 38' bounder DP from 2008 and they like it. Only a few problems when it was new and then fine until the air leveling system went out and there is no replacement - they will have to find a place that can retrofit something newer to it.

We have a 1996 Itasca (winnie product) and have no problems getting parts. Winnie has all the shop drawings online so our DIY repairs are easier.
Thanks for the reply. That was my worry, finding parts for the Workhorse engine. I hear it's a wonderful engine but I would eventually need parts.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
We have been looking at Fleetwood Bounders this past month but our search for a new to us Motorhome has taken us to not one but two Winnebagos. Both are for sale relatively close to us but we have not seen them in person yet and we are not familiar at all with these motorhomes.

Just looking for opinions on the following two models:

-2002 Winnebago Brave 32V, Workhorse 8.1, 38,885 miles. Seller indicated that it does need work which they are willing to cut the price to account for the work. Rear suspension needs repair, the front windshield needs to be replaced as it has leaked and the window is foggy. The right rear leveling jack moves up and down slowly. Drain at pump is broken. Needs new tires and carpeting is dirty. Husband doesn’t care about carpeting. He is handy and can replace this himself. Priced at $24,500 but willing to negotiate due to repairs needed.

-2005 Winnebago Sightseer 33L, Ford V10, 44,522 miles. Seller said they took off the stabilizers because they were not working but can replace them for a cost.

Both units are said to have a good roof and there are no soft spots or water marks (with the exception of the water mark in the 2002 Brave by the window leak).

From what I read, the Brave is discontinued and is hard to get parts for. Any thoughts on this?

Whatever RV we decide on, either one of these or one in the future, we would always have a certified mechanic go over the engine and trans.

We like both floorplans. I actually like the Brave’s floorplan a "little" better but not a deal breaker.
Parts are NOT hard to get for a Workhorse chassis. More importantly, you need to determine if the Brave is on a Workhorse P32 or W series chassis. BOTH had the 8.1L motor in 2002, so the motor isn't a deciding factor. The P32 will have an independent front suspension with air bags inside the coail springs. The W series will have a solid front axle. The P32 will have a GM 4 speed tranny and the W will have an Allison 5 speed. I would not buy the brave if it is a P32. Period.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Parts are NOT hard to get for a Workhorse chassis. More importantly, you need to determine if the Brave is on a Workhorse P32 or W series chassis. BOTH had the 8.1L motor in 2002, so the motor isn't a deciding factor. The P32 will have an independent front suspension with air bags inside the coail springs. The W series will have a solid front axle. The P32 will have a GM 4 speed tranny and the W will have an Allison 5 speed. I would not buy the brave if it is a P32. Period.
The ad lists the model as the WPF32V. Does that indicate the tranny????
Old 02-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #6

I’m guessing that is WBGO coach model #. AFAIK, only the chassis VIN number can confirm which model the chassis is, which would allow me to tell you which Tranny it has.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2002 brave 32Ft was on a ford chassis. I loved it but thought I wanted to move to a diesel. I have wished many times that I had kept the Brave.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I’m guessing that is WBGO coach model #. AFAIK, only the chassis VIN number can confirm which model the chassis is, which would allow me to tell you which Tranny it has.
Went and took a look at the 2002 Brave. Everything seems to point to it being a Ford. Obviously, we would look up the VIN and/or ask the certified mechanic to confirm if we move forward. Looking at the specs, the Ford has a larger GVWR than the Chevy. I've read a lot about the Chevy/Allison tranny combo. We are Chevy people and it's a shame it's not made anymore but that debate is for a different post.

It's a nice unit but does need some work. Price does reflect that. Haven't seen the 2005. Seller won't budge much on the price even though it doesn't have any leveling jack.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus View Post
Went and took a look at the 2002 Brave. Everything seems to point to it being a Ford. Obviously, we would look up the VIN and/or ask the certified mechanic to confirm if we move forward. Looking at the specs, the Ford has a larger GVWR than the Chevy. I've read a lot about the Chevy/Allison tranny combo. We are Chevy people and it's a shame it's not made anymore but that debate is for a different post.

It's a nice unit but does need some work. Price does reflect that. Haven't seen the 2005. Seller won't budge much on the price even though it doesn't have any leveling jack.
ALL workhorse vin #s begin with "5B4", but that alone does not identify the chassis series or the tranny. The sixth vin position character is code for which chassis series it is, and that will tell us which tranny it has.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #10

2002 Brave on RVT?

Seems like it needs a lot of work for being priced so far above the NADA value of $12,570 - 2002 Brave NADA

It is a Ford chassis. The Workhorse would have been a P32 that year since it's an 18,000 GVWR (In the brochure).

The Sightseer will have a little less content, but is newer. I need to look that one up still....

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #11

2005 Sightseer on RVT?

That's a Workhorse chassis. Looks like it's a P32. Another 18,000 GVWR

2005 Sightseer brochure

Still priced high relative to NADA low retail of $17,350 (2005 Sightseer NADA)

Both look decently clean in the pictures, but an in person inspection is obviously better than pictures the dealer will show you online.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can get the coach S/N (not the VIN), call WBGO factory service at 800.537-1885 and they should be able to provide you with the chassis mfr.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
If you can get the coach S/N (not the VIN), call WBGO factory service at 800.537-1885 and they should be able to provide you with the chassis mfr.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
This phone number is good to have since a lot of older Winnies are popping up around me. Can I assume correctly that S/N is for Serial Number? Sorry, I have to ask Most seem to have the VIN starting with 5B4, like "edgray" pointed out. Both good information to have while we are on our search.