Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Converter fuses blown

I have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A with the 8.1 liter W-22 chassis.

The power converter is located below the frig and it is not charging the house batteries, but did in the past. I tested the inlet AC circuit, breaker, etc and all is fine. When investigating the 12 vdc outlet, I found that the 2 30 amp fuses mounted in the converter itself where both blown. I also noticed that the cooling fan does not "spin" as freely as I would think it should.

I have not replaced the 30 amp fuses yet as I wanted to ask the forum what would cause these fuses to blow? The converter Parallax 7400 series manual says something about protecting the unit if the inlet power where out of phase which has never happened since I've owned this rig. Could the cooling fan be the problem?
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My buddy's fuses in his convertor blew as well...never new the reason why but it worked again when he replaced it but his were twin 30 amp blade fuses. I vote you replace the 3 cent part and see if it does it again. 7 years for an OE part....My convertor was 2.5 years when I had to replace it....Might just be time to replace the convertor.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Replace the fuses. Try it. If fan does not work but the converter does replace the fan. If the converter blows the fuses again disconnect the output, replace the fuses and try it again. If still does not work or the fuses still blow - new converter time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree. Replace the fuses. But, are these fuses for the AC input or the DC output?

Here is a great tool that every RVer needs: Auto ranging AC/DC Digital Clamp Meter - Amazon.com

I have it on my wishlist. I hope someone in the family is kind to me the Christmas.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I agree. Replace the fuses. But, are these fuses for the AC input or the DC output?

Here is a great tool that every RVer needs: Auto ranging AC/DC Digital Clamp Meter - Amazon.com

I have it on my wishlist. I hope someone in the family is kind to me the Christmas.
These 30 amp blade fuses must be for the DC output. With the ac power disconnected, I tried to install one of the 30 amp fuses and it immediately blew (big time!!).

Must be a direct short in the converter. I guess its converter time.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like problems on the DC side of the converter. A new converter is probably the best solution.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Sounds like problems on the DC side of the converter. A new converter is probably the best solution.
Thanks for your input from all.

Any recommendations from the forum on the 55 amp converter brand I should replace this Magnetek unit with? It is no longer produced.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We have two motor homes. I replaced the converter in the Brave with an IOTA DLS-55 and IQ4 pendant and the Adventurer with the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C and pendant. I am happy with both. I like the pendant on the Progressive Dynamics because I can control the mode with it.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
We have two motor homes. I replaced the converter in the Brave with an IOTA DLS-55 and IQ4 pendant and the Adventurer with the Progressive Dynamics PD9260C and pendant. I am happy with both. I like the pendant on the Progressive Dynamics because I can control the mode with it.
Thanks for you input John. Where do you store the pendant when not in use? How long is the cord?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

It is essentially always in use. I haven't really mounted it yet. I have to pull the large drawer out to access it. I plan on running it down to the end of the counter so I can access it from the door that gets to the breakers. I have all my solar and inverter displays and etc. there. It uses the telephone handset jack and plug rather than the standard RJ11 or RJ14. I have a handset coupler and long cord so will get it done soon.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased the amp/volt meter referenced by jerichorick
at Sears for about the same price as amazon ,no shipping just taxes.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
vom meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshanks View Post
I purchased the amp/volt meter referenced by jerichorick
at Sears for about the same price as amazon ,no shipping just taxes.
A volt ohm meter is not a big deal. just go to lowes or home depot and pick one up for about $20. even better is find a sale a harbor freight. a digial or analog will do the same thing. check the for volts or check a short.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
These 30 amp blade fuses must be for the DC output. With the ac power disconnected, I tried to install one of the 30 amp fuses and it immediately blew (big time!!).

Must be a direct short in the converter. I guess its converter time.
those older converters used a very sophisticated coil/transformer filter arrangement but yours like mine took a deep six and I was unable to repair it.

my solution was to replace it with progressive dynamics INTELIPOWER 9200. I choose the 45 amp model a step up from the 30 that was in our 99 chieftain DP. never regretted the swap as the new one is quite and stable.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

pulling more amps then the converter can make well do it i blow them all the time on my RV

some one could have installed a bigger battery set... pull them down on a long drive and the converter trys to push to hard for to long and well do it every time

all so a battery on its last leg well do it as its pushing its max amps to keep up with trying to bring up a battery / and motor battery / and every thing on in the RV

i have a 100 amp converter and i just installed the auto reset fuses in it as i forget some times to turn it off when starting my motor

if your going after a new one go with a 80 amp clean converter as you are driving a 8.1l .. you well not find much info on clean converter out there but a low cost one well make noes in the grounds and the 8.1/allison tcm dont like it to much

converter are all so like inverter for solar you have to MD and SW you all so have a clean and MD type as well

most of the time you find them on your higher end 5ers and DP

befor some one says some thing yes my RV has many 12v high load items
my rv can pull 130 amps ..after.. start up and there is timers in the system to move loads
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
A volt ohm meter is not a big deal. just go to lowes or home depot and pick one up for about $20. even better is find a sale a harbor freight. a digial or analog will do the same thing. check the for volts or check a short.
Please take a better look at what I am recommending. This is a DC/AC clamp on ammeter. It has it all for AC and DC. I use my son's to see the true drain on my battery bank if I think I have a problem. I can look at individual circuits, AC or DC for the load current if I suspect a foreign draine. You can't do this with the simple $20 meter. It helps you get to the problem quicker and with disconnecting less connections. I use this meter just as I would my AC clamp meter for house circuits. I just don't own one yet. I wish I had a good reason but I don't. Not getting around to buying one is just a poor excuse.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

meters

I understand the use of the induction meter. I have both but mainly use the plain old meter to trouble shoot electrical problems. Incidentally, been in electronic since I was 13 and now 72. A simple VOM will tell a lot in a very short time if one knows what they are doing and looking for. My business is access control, camera systems, fire systems and security. Never needed anything but the VOM on the motorhome or yacht.

you can also get inexpensive clamp on meter at Harbor Freight good up to 1000 volts but don't have a very selective series of ranges.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thumbs down Reverse polarity

I had a 2006 Sightseer. It had a magnetek converter. That converter had 2 30 amp fuses whose purpose was to protect the converter from someone connecting the batteries backward. I have seen no mention in this thread so I have to ask: Have you done any work
around the batteries just before this problem started?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
I had a 2006 Sightseer. It had a magnetek converter. That converter had 2 30 amp fuses whose purpose was to protect the converter from someone connecting the batteries backward. I have seen no mention in this thread so I have to ask: Have you done any work
around the batteries just before this problem started?
I did nothing to the house batteries other than check/add some water. I did replace the motor battery recently but my mh won't charge the engine battery with the converter/land land line, only the house batteries.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I understand the use of the induction meter. I have both but mainly use the plain old meter to trouble shoot electrical problems. Incidentally, been in electronic since I was 13 and now 72. A simple VOM will tell a lot in a very short time if one knows what they are doing and looking for. My business is access control, camera systems, fire systems and security. Never needed anything but the VOM on the motorhome or yacht.

you can also get inexpensive clamp on meter at Harbor Freight good up to 1000 volts but don't have a very selective series of ranges.
That is great for you. Not everyone reading the forum has your experiences in troubleshooting, or mine. Coming from a world of commercial generator, inverter and battery bank testing I see the value in gathering information with a variety of tools. I, too, was young when I started into electronics. Now, at 68, I find the more I can find out about the problem the more I can share on irv2. RV troubleshooting is relatively new to me. I need to apply the methods I know. When it comes to power the meter I recommend is a great tool.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 03-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I have a PD9260c which tripped my breaker. After checking everything I discovered that when I rinsed my black tank it leaked on the converter causing it to short. I'm hoping once it dries out all well be okay. Anyone have any thoughts? Txs

Tags
converter, fuse