RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cummins SCR Campaign (recall) 2010-2015

SCR is probably Selective Catalytic Reduction. Maybe it is the issue discussed in this article.

If you know more about this "campaign", especially what the time frame is please advise.

I just got off the phone with Cummins service in Gainesville GA because of a probably unrelated DEF code. I didn't get much information but apparently there is some time frame so you should get the issue addressed soon rather than later.

As explained to me the part number typically can not be determined until some disassembly is performed. Once disassembled Cummins will not pay for assembly until the new part is available. Without knowing the part number Cummins can not say how long it will take to complete the work. It can be weeks before the part is available. Not particularly impressive service.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
SCR is probably Selective Catalytic Reduction. Maybe it is the issue discussed in this article.

If you know more about this "campaign", especially what the time frame is please advise.

I just got off the phone with Cummins service in Gainesville GA because of a probably unrelated DEF code. I didn't get much information but apparently there is some time frame so you should get the issue addressed soon rather than later.

As explained to me the part number typically can not be determined until some disassembly is performed. Once disassembled Cummins will not pay for assembly until the new part is available. Without knowing the part number Cummins can not say how long it will take to complete the work. It can be weeks before the part is available. Not particularly impressive service.
There are several different recalls out there, so let's be sure we are talking about the one you described. It is for the SCR (DEF) system and nothing more. It is because a system component deteriorates and the vehicles do not meet emission standards. This recall has nothing to do with DEF sensor heads, or derating. It has nothing to do with DPF issues either.

I cannot speak to Cummins' response to your questions. One would think the engine serial number would suffice to determine if your engine was equipped with the defective part, but obviously, that is not the case. I do understand the need for disassembly and inspection if there were different model faulty parts installed over the years. That would mean a time delay.

This recall has been in effect since July, 2018, but it's not clear if there is a closing date, given it's an EPA/CARB instituted recall.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for the feedback.

I created a Quickserve account on cummins years ago and kind of forgot about it.
Turns out you can check Campaigns there, but it doesn't notify you of them.
To do that you have to register the engine, which I have now done.

This is all it says on Quickserver.
C2114 ISB CM2250 265HP AND HIGHER EMISSION RECALL CAMPAIGN OPEN

Basically what you said.

Now I'm wondering if getting it fixed is basically fixing something that isn't broken for me and possibly exposing me to risk with no real reward.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post
Thank you for the feedback.

I created a Quickserve account on cummins years ago and kind of forgot about it.
Turns out you can check Campaigns there, but it doesn't notify you of them.
To do that you have to register the engine, which I have now done.

This is all it says on Quickserver.
C2114 ISB CM2250 265HP AND HIGHER EMISSION RECALL CAMPAIGN OPEN

Basically what you said.

Now I'm wondering if getting it fixed is basically fixing something that isn't broken for me and possibly exposing me to risk with no real reward.
That's a good question.

I think the answer will depend on the "disassembly" needed to do the recall repair and the part needed. You may wish to call Cummins again and try to get some specifics as to what the exact procedure is and what parts of the engine/exhaust will be disturbed. Let them know your concern. My gut tells me you won't be risking problems down the road stemming from this repair.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, recall, scr