Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We recently purchased a 2008 Sightseer. It has double sinks with a "cutting board" cover on each. We find that they easily dump what ever is on top into the sink unless you work right in the middle. Any pressure off center and they tip in. With limited counter space you really need that space.

I'm planning to make a wood cutting board that will go over the top of the sink. Mounting design still in process though.

Does any one have any other solutions?
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We recently purchased a 2008 Sightseer. It has double sinks with a "cutting board" cover on each. We find that they easily dump what ever is on top into the sink unless you work right in the middle. Any pressure off center and they tip in. With limited counter space you really need that space.

I'm planning to make a wood cutting board that will go over the top of the sink. Mounting design still in process though.

Does any one have any other solutions?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sounds like yours are an unusually poor fit ...mine fit too close to tip, and I've never heard that problem. Since your rig should be under warranty, you might check with your dealer just in case they can provide better fitting covers.

We rarely use our covers. Most of the time there is a cutting board we bought at WalMart across the larger sink ...it has wire "handles" on each end and fits securely with small gaps on two sides.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yep...our 08 is the same. Actually the big one is ok...its the little one that will dump at the worst time. I tried boards on every Sightseer at the dealers and they all did the same thing. I also thought about trying to make one but just got lazy and we're used to it now...sort of. I think a lot of the problem is the sink surface area is too small for a board or maybe one with more lip would work?

I called Winnie on it and got no where. Since the Coach was essentially defect free, I did not push it. You know it happened to the plant people so would think someone would say something.

If you solve it, please report back. Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our sink covers fit tightly in the opening and do not tip.

I think the reason that your covers tip is there is too much "slop" in the way that the covers fit into the opening ... so you either need to make covers that fit snuggly ... or fabricate something that you attach below the current covers that fit snuggly in the sink opening ...

Would it be possible to make a template (out of styrofoam or corrugated cardboard) that fits snuggly in your sink ... then cut a piece of plywood in that shape ... finish it with water resistent varnish ... then glue that to the bottom of your sink cover ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge and experience. At this time, I've cut out a nice piece of wood that covers over the large sink and part of the counter. I'm going to try attaching to the cover with velcro as a start. May need some non skid grip material as well. Work in progress.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Don't know how big the piece of plywood is that you have cut but, if you still have some of the plywood left over, you might use the original cover as a pattern and cut an additional piece of plywood that will fit into the sink. Then using a good glue, glue it to the bottom of the piece of the plywood that you have cut. This will allow the bottom piece to fit into the sink and keep the top portion you are doing work on from slipping around.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yeah ... what David said

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote