Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2005, 02:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Anyone have a PC mounted on dash? I'm looking for ideas, brackets, etc. Planning to run Delorme GPS and the Silverleaf software.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Anyone have a PC mounted on dash? I'm looking for ideas, brackets, etc. Planning to run Delorme GPS and the Silverleaf software.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The design of the Journey doesn't allow for a good dash location for the laptop. I use a marine laptop mount from capjack.com and on my last two rigs I mounted it to the engine cover. After a couple of attempts to locate it somewhere on the dash of the Meridian, I ended up fabricating a backet that's mounted to the floor at the corner of the dash "wrap around". This location gets it close enough to the driver's seat so I can read the screen, and it swivels around so my co-driver can check her e-mails or find a campground for the night.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Paul:

Thanks. I remembered seeing a post where someone used a marine swivel mount...couldn't find it...it was your's. Any possibility you could send a pic of the install?? Also, what do you do for power while on the road...run inverter, etc? My power supply for the Dell has 19.5 volts output so not sure I can find a power supply I can plug into the 12v outlet on dash.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem with my Journey DL. I use the PC for DeLorme GPS and velcro it in front of the co-pilot. This is not going to help you with Silverleaf though.

Here is another option:

Jotto Desk

They look well built, but seem a little pricey.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have used the Jotto Desk in my last couple of RVs have been very happy with it. Made a top for it with a ledge and have never had the PC move. Mounted under the Jotto top is the power supply, 12 volts in, 19.5 volts out for the PC along with an amplified speaker for the PC. Additional 12 volts outlets for the Brake Buddy and what ever also. Pics below.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty handy in the woodshop and want to make something out of oak to match the cabinets in the coach. I am familiar with the RAM mounts since I have one in my boat. I believe some combo of a nice oak custom tray and ram mount will work. As Paul suggested, a bracket or brace that extends to the floor may be necessary for strength and to get the mount nearer to the driver.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Craig, there's not an easy answer. I too have tried to use a laptop at the drivers position and without a lot of "outside" help, Jotto, table, etc, could not come up with a answer.

Bought the Lowrance Iway 500C for routing and still use Delorme at the dinette for mapping. The 500C may not route you the way you want to go but if you determine the route from Delorme, then the Iway will not let you get lost. It mounts very nicely above the backup camera with the supplied mounts.

May be mickey mouse, but it works for me.
Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'll take some pictures this week. At the moment I'm running the computer off the 110 volt outlet in front of the passenger sunvisor. The power supply sits very nicely in the cutout behind the tv. The cable comes down in line with the center post so you really don't notice it. I'll eventually wire in a 110 volt outlet down low to eliminate that cord. The gps sits on the dash against the windshield with the cord running across the top of the dash to the computer. I'm not sure what I'll do with that. The vmspc cord comes out of a gap between the top and bottom half of the dash, right at the computer, so that will probably stay like that.

Paul
Old 06-11-2005, 06:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If I did this right I should have three pictures of my laptop mount.

Paul

I guess I need to play around a little more with the pictures. They are located in the photo gallery.

Paul
Old 06-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

ppeter313:
Great pix. Thanks. Where did you get the laptop stand?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,

You can find the mount at http://www.capjack.com. It's available with either a horizontal or vertical base. The extension I made is just a piece of 1" stainless pipe and two plates that match the base dimensions.

Paul
Old 06-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Nice set up!
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Anyone have a PC mounted on dash? I'm looking for ideas, brackets, etc. Planning to run Delorme GPS and the Silverleaf software. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't really understand your dilemna. We are just getting back from a 12,000 km trip, from Toronto to Alaska and back, with our laptop sitting on the dash, unevefully displaying Microsoft Streets 'n Trips data along the way.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

ppeter313:

How much does the set up 'wiggle' when underway?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

There's no real wiggle. The base is attached with 1/4-20 machine screws tapped into the steel structure under the floor- very secure.
I've got the computer nearly centered over the vertical mount so there's very little leverage. I wouldn't drive down a washboard road with the computer extended to it's maximum distance from the post (about 20") because it's a fairly heavy laptop. If it does become an issue, I positioned the post so I can secure the top of the post to the steel in the dash with a short bracket.

Paul