RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
Utah_Jay's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9
Did I fry my power converter?

Hello community - I need your help please.

Background - 2 winters ago I did not remove my batteries. I plugged in about once a month for a few days at a time to keep them charged up. Last summer worked fine. This winter I left the coach plugged in all the time. (1995 P30 Adventurer) Throughout the winters I will start the coach up and run it for about 20 minutes or so each month.

In January I went to start it and noticed my van battery was dead. The battery is almost 5 years old so I figured I would be replacing it before the season starts.

About 3 weeks ago while working outside I heard an alarm going off from my coach. It was the propane detector. A google search showed a common cause for this is overcharging the batteries. I unplugged the coach but the alarm wouldn't stop. I had to disconnect the coach batteries for it to stop.

A side note: the outlet I was plugged into had some serious charring marks on it. Made me feel like I got lucky in avoiding a possible fire. My coach is on a 30 amp cord but I use an adapter to allow me to plug into a 110v outlet 20a.

Today I bought a new van battery and a new coach battery deep cycle. The van started right up and runs fine. The coach has no power - no lights (except the propane alarm lights up green), the levels test indicator has nothing.

I checked all the breakers and fuses they are all intact. I found a 40amp circuit breaker under the dash that says coach power or something to that affect. It was "up" I pushed it down. Still no power.

I decided to plug back into a 110v outlet. There was a small pop and spark when I made the connection - not sure if that is normal. But I did get power back to the coach portion. Unplugged it and nothing.

Am I missing something? Is there an easy way to test the power converter.

A big thank you in advance for your help!

Utah_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Junior Member
Utah_Jay's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9
Now I feel REALLY stupid. My auxiliary switch was off disconnecting the coach batteries. Hopefully problem solved.

Please respond about the spark issue when plugging into 110v if you have any input

Thanks again!

Utah_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22,464
The second you plugged in, you powered up the converter.

If anything, 12 volt powered, was on, it can cause a draw. That's like plugging in an appliance while it's on.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 3,031
Whenever plugging in a RV to shorepower, use the breaker to turn off or on. That prevents most arcing. A worn outlet can cause problems so if yours shows burn marks, replace it.

Running the engine without exercising the rig on the road is often considered worse than just letting it sit without starting the engine. In future, just disconnect the negative leads from the battery banks after fully charging them with 20 minutes on the road. Batteries will easily overwinter without being charged continuously as long as they're in good condition...if they're disconnected. They do need to be charged in the spring before use though.

After disconnecting the batteries: If you are connecting to shore power to keep something powered in the RV over the winter, like the refer (recommended), or a small heater to keep moisture at bay, just run power to that item not the coach because converters aren't suppose to be run without a battery load. Check your manual though, as some can be without problem.
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, power

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish fry Sunday night July 12th in Petoskey LittleDeal Entegra Owner's Forum 8 07-11-2015 06:04 PM
Did I fry my house batteries? neo102470 RV Systems & Appliances 8 11-09-2010 10:42 PM
Did my Inverter Fry the Electric Blanket?? rv rick MH-General Discussions & Problems 18 11-10-2009 09:37 PM
From the Kamper Kitchen - Beef Stir Fry RedneckExpress RV Gourmet 1 12-01-2008 01:38 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.