Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Dimensions 2000 inverter/converter????

My 2004 Journey (bought new) came with a Dimensions 2000 inverter/converter. The unit failed after about 2 years. I was plugged into a 50 amp service with no load on the inverter when I smelled the odor of something electrical burning. After pulling the unit, I found one of the circuits boards had burned.
The unit was repaired by Dimensions.......NOW!!! The unit has failed again. This time while driving down the road with no load on the Inverter.

I am at loss as to why I could have two failures in 5 years. Has anyone else had this kind of loss?

Any suggestions as how to prolong the life on the next unit? HELP!!!

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #2

I understand how you feel. I currently have my 3rd unit installed since 2005. However the last unit seems to be a winner. It has lasted for three years now without a problem, while the other two failed within a 16 month period.
Others have had their share of failures as well. It seems that Dimensions has done some redesign work as they pointed out when I discussed my frustration with them when the second unit failed. Time will tell. My problems were that my batteries were getting damaged. So far the batteries are holding up as well. You might give Dimensions another try which is the least expensive option, or bite the bullet and replace it al together with a Xantrex RS2000 for instance. That will be my next step should my 3rd unit fail.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgore View Post
My 2004 Journey (bought new) came with a Dimensions 2000 inverter/converter. The unit failed after about 2 years. I was plugged into a 50 amp service with no load on the inverter when I smelled the odor of something electrical burning. After pulling the unit, I found one of the circuits boards had burned.
The unit was repaired by Dimensions.......NOW!!! The unit has failed again. This time while driving down the road with no load on the Inverter.

I am at loss as to why I could have two failures in 5 years. Has anyone else had this kind of loss?

Any suggestions as how to prolong the life on the next unit? HELP!!!
I can't answer your question but I was, at one time, an ASQC certified engineer in military/aerospace electronics. I CAN tell you that everything fails eventually. the task of identifying failures and predicting longevity is nearly impossible. If our products failed, no one wanted to go out in space to repair them. Therefore, we tried our darndest to make sure they lasted.

We destructively tested, and rated tested every product to one degree or another. You can build 1000 units, all made from the same parts all made at the same time. They go through life testing and pass. Then you out them in the field and one fails out of the box and another lives as long as it is used.

All you can do is build to a known LEVEL of reliability and wait.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry

Our Demented inverter failed 3 years ago after ruining our batteries and ( we suspect)causing some appliances to bite the dust. The rebuilt one seems to be OK but if it goes there will be another brand to replace it. Do a search, many have had problems with Demensions.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same failure at about the three year point. Lucky, wife noticed smoke and we shut everything down. Dimensions repaired for fee, just under $300, if I remember correctly.

John Abbott
2004 Winnebago Journey
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote