RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #1

Disassemble Captains Chair

Does anyone know how to remove the seat back on a 6-way electric, with lumbar and tilt, driver side captains chair without removing the base assembly. I know how to remove the bottom cushion but the seat back isn't so easy. I need to remove the seat back and upholstery to gain access to the foam, springs, and frame to determine the problem and make repairs.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure this is different than yours but it may give you some ideas.

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I'm sure this is different than yours but it may give you some ideas.
Thanks but the UltraLeather upholstery is good. Something inside the seat back has broken. I'm beginning to think the power seats were fully assembled when they were installed. WBGO tech's are researching.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

When I replaced the seat heaters in ours, I couldn't get the back to come off, so I simply removed the UltraLeather upholstery and replaced the existing heating pad in both back and seat.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:04 AM   #5

I need to remove the bottom cushion only. Leather is fine. Need to reform the foam where too much sitting with seat turned flattened it out.
I see 2 nuts towards the front underneath. How does the back of cushion stay in place?
Thanks Kent
2 cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #6

On my Flexsteel seats, they are held down onto the frame by 4 nuts, two up front and 2 at the rear. There also several wire connectors and a steel cable that makes the seat swing around, that need to be disconnected.

The bottom seat fabric is held on by "C" clips and was easy to remove.
You can see the heating pad in one of these pictures. The "C" clip in the other picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_115543.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	309563   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_134643.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	309564  

Old 11-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

There are actually 2 ways to remove the seats.
Either with or w/o the 6 way mechanism attached.
Both have 4 bolts/nuts. The most visible is below the 6 way mechanism but if you look above the mechanism you can see & access the 4 that hold the seat to the mechanism. The seat is a lot lighter to handle w/o the mechanism especially going in/out of MH.
The back of the 6 way switch comes off the front / buttons by pulling it off or prying between the pieces... they are just pins that plug into the switch. Just be careful if you use a metal putty knife or screw driver not to short out between multi pins
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
There are actually 2 ways to remove the seats.
Either with or w/o the 6 way mechanism attached.
Both have 4 bolts/nuts. The most visible is below the 6 way mechanism but if you look above the mechanism you can see & access the 4 that hold the seat to the mechanism. The seat is a lot lighter to handle w/o the mechanism especially going in/out of MH.
The back of the 6 way switch comes off the front / buttons by pulling it off or prying between the pieces... they are just pins that plug into the switch. Just be careful if you use a metal putty knife or screw driver not to short out between multi pins
Very true.

When I removed mine I was after two things. One was replacing the seat heater, and the other was to lubricate the swivel plate bearings, sliding tracks, footrest and release cable.

Yes, that sucker is heavy!
Old 12-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #9

I've gotten to the root of the problem but getting there was no easy task. First, the bottom seat cushion was removed by raising the front of the seat using the 6 way seat controls, removed the two 1/2" nuts holding the seat bottom cushion to the rails, then lifting the front of the bottom seat cushion and pulling forward. The seat back is attached to the base by four 3/4" bolts but the skirt must be removed to again access to the bolts. In my case, the skirt is an upholstered rigid wraparound panel and attached to the seat base by two 3/8" bolts at the front and two 3/8" nut and bolt at the rear. The seatbelt reel must be removed to gain access the 3/8"bolt behind the seat belt reel. The tilt and 6 way control switches must also be removed from the skirt. The skirt can be pulled away from the seat base at the rear of the seat. After removing the skirt I realized that it wasn't necessary to remove the seat back from the base, so the four 3/4" bolts were not removed. Next I removed the upholstery clips as needed to loosen the upholtery and raise the seat back upholstery to gain access to the lumbar mechanism and foam padding. The lumbar mechanism was damaged and not in the correct horizontal position. Those items were easily fixed. Then, I noticed evidence that someone had already worked on the seat back and it seems some of the foam padding is missing. I'm now waiting for Winnebago to review the pictures and tell me what's missing.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #10

Glad you are getting the problem fixed. Now all you have to do is get it all put back together and working!

Tags
air