Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #1

Do the F53 gauges actually work?

On my Itasca Suncruiser the temp, oil, amp gauges always read right in the middle. Are they actually reading anything or are they just indicators that something is working? I think I read somewhere on another forum a long time ago that they really don't show much. Thanks
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #2

Many members here post.. they all have their doubts that factory dash gauges do anything until too late.. many recommend SCAN GAUGE .. I use added gauge that are dedicated.. and know to be reputable.. I also have and use obd2 scanner in live data capture mode.. yes.. it's a bear to run 6 gauges independently.. and time consuming.. scan gauge just plugs in.. my dash does look like cockpit.. but old school.. I find scan gauge hard to read.. but most say it's the way to go..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I have no issues with the guages on Damon. It's an 06 F-53
Old 10-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The F53 gauges are just indicators of that something is working. The temperature gauges will not move off dead center until there is an overheat conndition (too late). I use ScanGauge II which provides digital readings of actual temps. Now I see the temps rise when going up mountains and see them go down when coasting downhill, etc. Of course the ScanGauge monitors a lot of data points besides just temps.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They are just like idiot lights. On/off. By the time they show a problem it is too late as stated above.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The gauges are electronic and controlled by the ECU rather than the older analog type that were directly connected to the source sensor. Considering this I suspect they are more of a range indicator and will move in steps rather than something more analog like a fuel level gauge.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2001 Winnebago 32v, F53 Chassis

Checked my Temp gauge with my OBD reader just to see what the real temp was - right on with the thermostat.
My volt meter is right on.
No info on the oil pressure. It registers when the engine is running, but not sure of anything else.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

My 1993 has a "real" oil pressure gauge. Evidenced by the type of sending unit at the engine, which larger than the "idiot light" style. My 1995 F150 has the idiot gauge. So right in between there was where Ford decided the public didn't need actual oil pressure readings. Rumor has it that is was a warranty thing and dealerships were fed up with customers coming in and fretting over lower oil pressures at hot idle. IE, they had no clue how a gauge is supposed to work nor engine oil pressure. Have been on that side of automotive service, I can actually believe that.
I think I saw somewhere where temp gauges were being altered to show cold, normal, and hot. Basically. For the same reasons. Sad and I expect true.

On my old truck I can alter the gauge wiring, swap senders, and have an oil pressure gauge that actually works though I can't seem to get around to doing so. Unfortunately on the later models all that runs through the computer and you can't pull that off.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

I have a ScanGuage and ODBII reader and the dash guages all match pretty closely the readouts from those two digital devices. With the $20 BlueTooth ODBII reader and the Free TorqueLite application on your android tablet or phone you can display just about any digital or analog gauge imaginable however the dash is pretty accurate once you understand what the ranges they display are.

That the V10 in the F53 is usually so stable under normal/moderate driving conditions probably creates some confusion however when you beat that horse and try to drive up mountains fully loaded at 75 MPH instead of slowing down to a more reasonable speed you can see the engine power load go completely up to 100% and especially when Effective or Real Feel outside temperatures are at 100 degrees plus you will see a rapid increase in engine temperature indicated on both the OBDII readout and the dash gauges and rightly so since motor homes and their tires are not designed to maintain speeds over 65 MPH for long periods and especially not when pulling a grade in hot weather. You have to be mindful that a V10 engine when running at 100% output can be burning as much as 1 gallon of fuel per mile which simplistically stated equates to over 120,000 BTU or around 131,760,000 joules which is a lot of heat for your cooling system to deal with every minute your running at that power level.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:12 PM   #10

When I drained and filled my coolant system, I started up the beast and watched hoe the engine coolant and transmission temperatures slowly rose and creeped past “normal” toward “hot”. I turned off the engine and let everything cool down. Next morning the coolant reservoir level dropped was down from the full max level to about 1/3 full. Started the beast again and temps only rose to normal. The indicators definitely changed in a step pattern likely created by a computer chip, unlike the old analog gauges of yore.
Offramp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, gauges