Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #1

i have a 2004 itasca 39w with 2 slides, and for the life of i can not figure out how to access the engine from the bedroom. the bed does not lift up nor can i see any screws that hold it down. i would like to know how others do it. it worries me not being able to get to the engine. is there a trick to it that i'm missing?
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #2

i have a 2004 itasca 39w with 2 slides, and for the life of i can not figure out how to access the engine from the bedroom. the bed does not lift up nor can i see any screws that hold it down. i would like to know how others do it. it worries me not being able to get to the engine. is there a trick to it that i'm missing?
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

I assume that you have a 39W Meridian ... I have the sister coach ... 39W Journey

First: Getting to your engine from the bedroom.

There are either one or two screws on the bottom of the step to the closet (they are hidden in the carpeting and you need to look carefully but they are there) ... remove those screws and then you can removed the step ...

after you have the step off there will be a panel that is fastened down with about a half dozen studs ... this will allow you to look down on your engine ...

Second ... getting access to space under the bed

If you lift up the foot of your mattress {we have a sleep number mattress so it is easy to lift up} you should find a screw in both corners ... it is pretty long (about 2") ... if you remove those screws you can lift up the platform that the mattress rests on ... there is a piano hinge in the platform at about the position of your shoulders when you are sleeping ...

the ram for you rear slide is located under the bed, there are also several electrical connections under here ... I have fabricated a small storage area under the bed that I use to store stuff that I will access very seldom ... if you are interested send me a personal message and I will send you a picture

there is NO access to the engine from under the bed

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I also have the sister coach ... 39 Journey

As SkiGramp indicated, we have one or two screws on the bottom of the step to the closet, and had a couple on top as well. Not to hard to find.

After you remove the step and the metal access planel, you'll find there's limited access to the engine. Not sure what they we're thinking when this was designed.

Ski Gramp, I also modified the space under the bed, I opened up the base to allow access for storage. If you're interested send me a personal message and I'll send you a picture of my modification.
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #5

George ...

I modified the under bed storage area using your idea ... your pictures made it be a snap ...

thanks ... Wayne

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 AM   #6

The above folks are right..The top step has screws under the lip and away you go..not much room tho ,,you need to be a midget and a contorsionist to work on the engine...While you are in there oil the Jake Brake...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote