Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #1

The shower head in my water compartment drips for days and sometimes weeks. I have recently repaired the rust under my hose reel and hope to avoid this again. The sprayer hose valves have a sticker saying there is a backflow preventer on the line that will cause dripping.

What to do?? My spray hose has been off for two weeks now and it dripped about 3 tablespoons of water in the past 2 days.

I am tempted to remove the sprayer hose valves and replace with a non-backflow. I cannot imagine why backflow is a problem. The hose in the toilet area doesn't leak like this.

Any suggestions????
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #2

The shower head in my water compartment drips for days and sometimes weeks. I have recently repaired the rust under my hose reel and hope to avoid this again. The sprayer hose valves have a sticker saying there is a backflow preventer on the line that will cause dripping.

What to do?? My spray hose has been off for two weeks now and it dripped about 3 tablespoons of water in the past 2 days.

I am tempted to remove the sprayer hose valves and replace with a non-backflow. I cannot imagine why backflow is a problem. The hose in the toilet area doesn't leak like this.

Any suggestions????
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #3

Y'know, about as soon as I say "take 'em out of there", somebody else will pipe up and say "No, they're absolutely essential"....

-About as essential as the check valves on the back side of my hot water heater!

Well, you've got my $0.02.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #4

If your sprayer drips for more than a few minutes after the water is turned off I would suspect the faucet is leaking water into the hose.

When we use our outdoor shower we leave the controller on the shower head on, shut off the water valves, and lay the shower head on the ground for a couple minutes. It drains quickly so in short order we can hang it up with no further problems.

Last year on our way back from FLA in December there was still water to the outdoor compartment when we hit the cold weather. The water in the faucet froze and the shower developed the same problem you're describing. I bought a new faucet at the Grand National this year for less than $20.00 and all is well once again.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I get in the habit of just laying the hose down on the ground for a few seconds after using it. Once I pick it up and shake the water out of the spray head, I have no more drips.

If your's continues to drip after it's been drained and shaken out, I'd agree the valves are leaking.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Dont try and stop the leak by turning the hot or cold valve hard to off. It will break the plastic valve. Been there...done that. It is also not repairable when it leaks. It has to be replaced with a whole new hot/cold faucet, available at your friendly neighborhood RV dealer. Our outdoor shower and our indoor shower use the same style faucet.