Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #1

ECM 2002 Cummins 8.3, 350 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage

Has anyone had their ECM replaced? I just recieved a price of $3400.00 to replace it,1700.00 for part, 1100.00 labor, and the rest for tax and misc. charges. Can you all give me any feed back on this?
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join the Power Club and save some. The say 10% but that's not always true.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine running poorly?...or not at all?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be able to pull the ECM module yourself and send it off for repair and get it back within a week and maybe only pay <$1k. If you are already DIW that's what I would do.
I was lucky on my 5.9 and found a repair company that had some in stock and just bought one, that way I could continue to run mine while I waited to get it.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 AM   #5

Yes... I did replace my ECM and Fuel pump.

Concentrating on the ECM: In Oregon Cummins "LIST PRICE" back in Sept-2017 was $1,656, but they discounted the part price to $1,268. The labor is about right, because it includes diagnosis and connecting your engine to Cummins Insight System Computer. (In reality it will take about 4-5 hrs, but every shop is over charging these days.)

You can also joint "Cummins Care" for $20/year and get 10% off the parts price.

Here are some other thoughts:

I presume you are throwing a fault code?

ECMs commonly have ground problems, but if you mechanic has already cleaned all the contacts and is getting 12V to the ECM then you could have a bad ECM.

There is also a large suppressor that can short. If you remove this or cut the wire and your engine starts then you just found your problem. (And if you replace the ECM you will also need to replace this Suppressor ($110).

Be sure your ignition key switch is not sloppy. This part has been known to fail often and besides other problems the ignition chamber (not the key cylinder) can short to ground and send "spikes" to the ECM. (One condition to look for is this: If you hit a bump and your engine misses then you might have a loose ECM ground wire or a bad ignition switch $29 at Freightliner.) I replaced mine at 82,000 miles a a preventive maintenance item.)

If you want to get off cheap, you can buy an ECM off EBAY, but that's not a good idea since the real "secret sauce" in located in your old ECM and you really need a QUALIFIED SHOP comfortable with copying the data off your old ECM to you new ECM or you could end up with a real mess.

Be sure to ask you shop to update your ECM software to the latest code. (Couldn't hurt. ...But you know they will tell you they always do that.)

I would not attempt to replace the ECM yourself unless you find an ECM overhaul shop who will copy the data for you. And even then you are talking about $800 for the ECM exchange. (Assuming your ECM can be overhauled.) But if you have any problems, who are you going to get to take over the job? And how much are you going to spend to have your RV towed somewhere else?

NOPE... YOU SHOULD STAY PUT AND BE GLAD YOUR SHOP WITH "OWN" THE ECM JOB AND GET YOU BACK ON THE ROAD. Many shops will replace the ECM, but if they have problems they will tell you to take your rig to Cummins and then you start the process and billing cycle all over again.

I don't particularly care for Cummins, but for ECM work they are to "GO TO SHOP." And your shop is charging more than Cummins. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injection Control Valve (ICV) Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	231679  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, ecm, winnebago