Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Edge of roof

I just had our roof resealed with new sealant on the edge. It looked like it was held down with gravity and mud. Might be a good thing to look at.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 07:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
I just had our roof resealed with new sealant on the edge. It looked like it was held down with gravity and mud. Might be a good thing to look at.
Roof maintenance is one of the most overlooked maintenance items. Winnebago products are pretty good but where the roof coves meet the sidewalls do need attention. I bought my new to me 2006 Journey last year. The PO had is since 2011. I asked when the last time he cleaned and resealed the roof. He had never been up there in 10 years. 6 hours with the pressure washer and a box of TSP and it was clean again. Someone had slapped some Dicor on a few spots which is a No No on Winnebago products. They use a silicone base sealer. Cleaned off the Dicor and resealed with Geocell and all is good.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Roof maintenance is one of the most overlooked maintenance items. Winnebago products are pretty good but where the roof coves meet the sidewalls do need attention. I bought my new to me 2006 Journey last year. The PO had is since 2011. I asked when the last time he cleaned and resealed the roof. He had never been up there in 10 years. 6 hours with the pressure washer and a box of TSP and it was clean again. Someone had slapped some Dicor on a few spots which is a No No on Winnebago products. They use a silicone base sealer. Cleaned off the Dicor and resealed with Geocell and all is good.
While Dicor may not be on Winnes list of sealants, it DOES work in various applications on a Winne/Itasca roof. I've used it around the vents and front and rear cap. Did that several years ago and, been in plenty of rain storms and washings, no leaks yet. I myself never thought the use of a pressure washer on an RV roof was or is needed. When we bought our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP just over 10 years ago, the roof was in fair shape and, had at that time, zero maintenance done on it by the previous owner(s).

I proceeded to get up and scrape big blotches of Silicone off at various points that were dropped on there by installers of some of the aftermarket equipment, i.e. Kingdome and then, a good stiff brush, some dish soap and some cleanser and that roof was sparkling clean when done. After that, about two days of machine buffing and and a wax coat. Way better than new when done.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

So, we bought our 2001 Itasca sunrise about 2 mos. ago. The owner said it was well maintained by former guy. Looked like it according to meticulous records. Checked the roof at a glance and all seemed well.

We put new air filter on and per the help here cleaned the mass air volume too.

Drove from WA to Mi. Bought new tires. Drove all the way back and the roof peeled off in S D.

Now people are telling us due to it being a 2001 and it seems to be a maintenance issue it might be totaled. Waiting for adjuster to inspect next week. He’s pretty much made up his mind it seems.

Sign me,
Seriously devastated.
DrKellyRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #5

[QUOTE=DrKellyRas;5870767]So, we bought our 2001 Itasca sunrise about 2 mos. ago. The owner said it was well maintained by former guy. Looked like it according to meticulous records. Checked the roof at a glance and all seemed well.

We put new air filter on and per the help here cleaned the mass air volume too.

Drove from WA to Mi. Bought new tires. Drove all the way back and the roof peeled off in S D.

Now people are telling us due to it being a 2001 and it seems to be a maintenance issue it might be totaled. Waiting for adjuster to inspect next week. He’s pretty much made up his mind it seems.

Sign me,
Seriously devastated.
Trying to attach a photo or video.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #6

Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #7

Thank you!!!!

Tags
roof