Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

Electric step problem

Iíve got a 2003 Adventurer 38G and my steps will extend out when I open the door but will not go back in when I close the door. Doesnít matter it the step switch is on or off or the battery disconnect switch is on or off. Only way to get them to retract in is to turn ignition on. Lucky I have a drivers door or theyíd be stuck out. What should I look for??
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

you need to share what kind of step you have. I expect is is a step made by Kwickee. If so, they have a good online trouble shooting guide.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #3

Hi
It sounds to me that the door switch is you're problem and not changing state when you close the door, the fact that the ignition switch allows the steps to retract say's all step functions are capable of working. Check the door switch is being made if you can get to the wires just short across them which will simulate a closed contact and see if that operates the steps be carful that all hands are clear of steps while doing this. I think its a magnetic switch make sure the contact plate is aligned correctly also that the switch is tight and not moving around.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Sounds like a bad controller. Follow the troubleshooting steps here.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001636.pdf
Old 09-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

Yes the steps are Kwikee. The magnetic switch I think is working as the steps stay in until I open the door, just wonít go back in when closed. I havenít tried to operate them when the engine is running as they would before open when you opened the door. Iíll look at the wires and also click on that link to see what it says. Iíll also go to Kwickee and look. Didnít think about going there.
Thanks. Iíll post a reply when I figure it out.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Yes the steps are Kwikee. Iíll also go to Kwickee and look. Didnít think about going there.
Thanks. Iíll post a reply when I figure it out.
The link is from Kwikee. It's their official troubleshooting procedure.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #7

Another thought check the switch that turns the steps on and off it may have a wire off or loose connection leaving it in the out mode ? Worth a look or could be faulty switch. I would think if it was anything to do with the module or other component it would fail even when engine is turned on, I had a similar experience in a parking lot on route for vacation and had to remove the crank pin and clamp steps back in to travel, that turned out to be a module that I had to replace. Also have had motor failures that I repaired myself all working just fine now, good luck camping is fun.
Onebrit
Old 09-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #8

Got underneath it last night after I opened the door and the steps came out. Unplugged the 4 way connection and plugged it back in. Looked over all the wires and didnít see any broken or disconnected. I ordered the Kwikee test harness which is supposed to come tomorrow and Iíll plug that in and go through the Kwikee diagnostics instructions to try and figure out whatís wrong.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #9

Follow up, the test harness may give you a clue but given you're problem appears to be intermittent I think its a dirty connector or loose wire I would still look at the on off switch closely and also the mag switch. You can use a jumper wire across the wire connections if the steps operate each time you know the switch is the problem, or check with an Ohm meter to see if it changes state. I think you will find something simple but simple can drive you crazy, hang in their you will be an expert by time you're done and be able to help others.
Good Luck
Onebrit
Old 09-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Iíve got a 2003 Adventurer 38G and my steps will extend out when I open the door but will not go back in when I close the door. Doesnít matter it the step switch is on or off or the battery disconnect switch is on or off. Only way to get them to retract in is to turn ignition on. Lucky I have a drivers door or theyíd be stuck out. What should I look for??

What you describe is exactly the way Kwikee steps are supposed to work. They will stay out until you turn on the key. Read that service manual closely - again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
What you describe is exactly the way Kwikee steps are supposed to work. They will stay out until you turn on the key. Read that service manual closely - again.

Yes but theyíre supposed to close when the door closes too and theyíre not. Right now theyíre not intermittent, the steps come out when you open the door BUT stay out no matter what and will not retract unless you turn the key on. Thatís the only way to get them to retract.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #12

Ok, was back out checking out the steps and I think I found the problem but that leads me to another problem.

I got the steps to retract by accident. I was checking out the battery voltage at the main panel and I pushed the Battery Voltage switch up to check the house batteries and the steps came in. Prior to this my deep cycle house batteries went dead as I left on a couple lights. Took them out and charged them up at home. This is when I noticed the problem with the steps. Also when I push the switch down to check the Engine Battery, nothing shows up on the gauge even though the battery is charged up and starts the engine fine.

So now when I want to retract the steps and the screen door is closed, I push the house battery switch up, voltage shows up and the steps retract. I can also open the screen door, go back and push up the house battery switch and the steps go out.

So now my problem is why is there no power for the steps until I push up the house battery switch? And why is there no voltage showing up with I check the Engine Battery?

Battery disconnect switch is on and all lights work. Also the step on/off switch works ok as I checked it doing all this too.
Old 09-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #13

Forgot to say that all the black, gray, fresh and LP sensor lights donít work when you push their respective button UNLESS you also push the House Battery switch up at the same time.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #14

Hi
It sounds like you have some bad connections in the battery bank when you use the house battery switch and it works you're bypassing the problem, suggest going through all the grounds and terminals on each battery I think your on the right track and have narrowed where to look.
Good Luck
Onebrit

Tags
electric, problem