Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2021, 11:39 AM   #1

Electrical problem - lights/ camera monitor/steps

I just started to experience a weird problem with my parking lights/turn signals and camera monitor as well as my power steps on my 2002 itasca Sunflyer motor home. With the monitor off, when I use the turn signals the monitor flashes on/off in time with the flashers. With the monitor on, the flashers are weak (slow or don't work). With monitor off, when I step on brake monitor comes on. With monitor on, brake lights don't work. Also my step stopped working, they are in the folded position & won't come out. Monitor works when on but interferes with lights. lights work when monitor is off but when you step on the brake the monitor comes on and then the lights stop working properly. I checked for ground at a tail light and its good with the monitor off but no ground if monitor is on. Don't even know where to start looking.
itasca641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You are on the right track looking at grounds, I think that is the most likely cause.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

I was thinking it may be a ground problem. It seems like I'm backfeeding some way. when I apply the brake, the camera monitor comes on but the switch is still off and while the brake pedal is depressed you can't shut the monitor off.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

What chassis ?
Old 11-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #5

Workhorse chassis with 8.1 chevy vortec engine.
Old 11-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #6

FWIW over 80% of all 12V issues are the result of a poor/missing ground.
Have I mentioned I hate 12V problems?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

I still haven't resolved my electrical problem with my tail/brake/turn signal ane clearance lights as I posted earlier. But my steps started working again and I think it is not related to the light problem. I've had an intermittent step problem periodically in the past so I think this is just a recurrence of that problem. Anyway, does anyone know where the relay for the step activation is located? this is on a 2002 Itasca Sunflyer 39T on a Workhorse chassis.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2004 winnebago and i have a lamp at the end of the couch only have one and cant get no power to it this is the only thing i can c is off. Thanks
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #9

I understand you have a problem Sewerdog but how does this relate to my question???
Bye the way, to answer my own question, I found the relay for my steps and it seems to be working ok. I cleaned and lubed the step mechanism and they are working normally again. Looked at a bunch of Youtube videos on power step troubleshooting/maintenance. Very helpful.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It could very well be a ground,when i turn a lamp on at the end of the couch The light under the couch turns off! Somethings wrong! Sorry to be rude
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Onebrit

Hi all hope you enjoyed Thanks Giving.
Here's a thought any time you suspect you have a ground issue try jumping the original ground out and have a separate wire loosely run from battery ground or clean point on chassis directly to your suspected faulty equipment, if it works you have confirmed your suspicions. And can try find that faulty wire /connection or run a new ground wire if feasible. The same with the hot side as long as your comfortable doing this, it's the quickest way I think to test that the equipment your having trouble with is working as it should, keep in mind you're by passing any safeties such as fuses although you could have an inline fuse in your test hot line.
Hope this gives you food for thought just be careful anything that moves could trap fingers / limbs be safe. If not sure don't try, I use this method myself saved me a lot of head scratching.
Good luck stay safe.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #12

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually don't know where to apply a ground wire in this situation. it's such a weird situation, when I step on the brake the camera monitor comes on even with the monitor switch off. No tail lights or clearance lights. Brake lights are dim. If headlight switch is on - no brake lights.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #13

It would seem that theirs a common termination point that's impacting the systems you refer to, I would contact Winnebago Tech support and inquire how your coach is wired once they know what you're struggling with and all that's involved hopefully they can give you the best place to start trouble shooting. Failing that an RV Dealer may be able to help although by time they get to it you will have missed another season of camping.
Good luck sorry I couldn't help further.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #14

electrical problems

Thanks for your response, Onebrit. I have not yet solved my problems with the taillights/brake lights/clearance lights and the effect on my rear view monitor. As noted in my earlier posts, when I step on the brake , the monitor comes on and hitting the on/off button has no effect. Also the monitor blinks in sequence with the turn signals. I also hear a whirring sound when I turn on the ignition and step on the brake pedal, this stops when the engine is started. No turn signals/brake/tail lights when headlights are on. anyway, to make a long story short, with the weather up here in Pennsylvania getting cold & snowy
I can't do much troubleshooting and I finally found a mechanic who works on motorhomes, which is a rarity in this area. He has a large facility and can work on it indoors so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this mystery.

Tags
camera, electric, electrical, light, lights, monitor, problem, steps