Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #1

can not opne eng. door in side MH hex key will not work, will not unlock,if you can help thank you
R V WEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #2

can not opne eng. door in side MH hex key will not work, will not unlock,if you can help thank you
R V WEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, can do man.

First, I would suggest that you modify your signature to include your coach and toad information so that other members will know what you have and be better able to help answer your questions.

Secondly, I'm going to take a guess at what you have. You're posting on the Winnebago Owner's Forum and you mention the hex key doesn't work to open the engine cover. On my 2003 Suncruiser I had such a set up so maybe your's is the same as mine was.

The hex key is inserted through the carpeting into a female hex headed bolt. On the other end of the bolt is a cam-like lever that locks the engine cover down. If you turn it all the way to the right, it's locked. If you turn it all the way to the left (counterclockwise) it's unlocked. The bolt should not turn continuously or else something is loose or broken down there. If you turn it counterclockwise until it stops you should be ready to remove the engine cover. You can lift up slightly at the rear of the cover and then you have to pull it back because there are tabs on the front of the cover that prevent the front end from lifting up unless it is slid back.

The first time I had to do this it was hard. The covers tend to get stuck down and glued in place. If you lift at the rear of the cover with a small prybar (make sure the bolt is turned fully counterclockwise) it should pop free. Then you can slide it back easily.

If the bolt keeps spinning, I'd try to gently pry it up and if it didn't go I turn the bolt 1/8 turn and tri again. Keep repeating until you eventually find the spot where the cam is disengaged and it'll lift off when you get there.

I hope this helps.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
in addition to Cruzrers info, my 2004 Win.. 33V WH, had 3 small screws installed across the forward lip of the cover, that prevented it from releasing in the front. Notes on this board had allerted me to their possible presence, but I was unable to find any. My dealer finally found and removed them, but why they were there remains a mystery. The latch would release, and the cover would lift an inch or two in the rear, but would not come off...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:30 AM   #5

The doghouse cover on my '04 Brave had the screws as well as the allen bolt. There were two screws, one on each side up front near where the cover met the dash. The screw heads (phillips) were buried in the carpet & hard to find. They both were approx. 5" up from the floor, and about 3/4" back fronm the dash. I think Winnie puts them in for shipping purposes; certainly they're not something you want to try & find everytime you want to look at the engine. I removed the two screws and have no problems just using the big latch w/ the allen head bolt. I will say that one I got the cover off, I did readjust the allen bolt latch mechanism to be a little more snug (trial & error).
Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #6

Hi Can Do Man:

We have an '03 Itasca 33V on Ford chassis and found the same situation that Troth discovered. It took dealer about 15 minutes to figure out there were two screws hidden in the carpet near the dash. Hopefully WI's "quality control" is paying attention.

Best,

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote