Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

Engine Oil Fill Cap Replacement Problem

Hi guys hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here. I made a trip to Florida and when I got back home I went to change my engine oil and the oil fill cap is missing. I am looking to buy a replacement, but am having difficulty finding an oil cap that fits. I am able to find the cap that would fit the engine fill hole, but that is not the oil cap I need. There is an oil fill extension tube that runs from the engine oil fill hole to the front engine bay of the coach. I am looking for an oil cap that will fit the oil fill extension tube.

2013 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Ford 6.8L 10V
F53 chassis.
Kicker3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

Hi try going to an Auto zone give them as much engine detail as you can they should be able to help, you could also try a Napa parts store. I've had a lot of luck with Auto zone for my RV and truck repairs.
Good Luck hope this helps.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford did not have them?
Hopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi try going to an Auto zone give them as much engine detail as you can they should be able to help, you could also try a Napa parts store. I've had a lot of luck with Auto zone for my RV and truck repairs.
Good Luck hope this helps.
Onebrit
Tried Advanced yesterday. They gave me the engine oil cap not the extension cap. I tried 3 different caps at NAPA. None worked. The guy said I won’t find the extension cap at an aftermarket parts store.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopster View Post
Ford did not have them?
I tried several auto parts stores yesterday. No luck. I am calling a Ford dealer today. I am hoping they won’t give me the run around with the oil tube extension cap. Through maybe someone might know the part number or something. Guess it’s a long shot.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #6

Call Lichtsinn Motors in Iowa.
That cap is not a Ford part, Winnebago installed that extension and cap.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Call Lichtsinn Motors in Iowa.
That cap is not a Ford part, Winnebago installed that extension and cap.
That’s what I was thinking. I called the Ford dealer across from Lichtsinn yesterday. They said they think they found the part, but honestly they didn’t sound very confident. I am having them ship it out to me. I called Lichtsinn just now. They asked what chassis. I told them F53. The guy on the phone said oh…….I can’t help you with that. That would be a Ford part. Call a Ford dealer. I clarified again saying it is the extension tube that runs from the engine to the front of the engine compartment that I need a cap for and that Winnebago put that part in not Ford. He told me it’s definitely a Ford part and to call a dealer. Now I am not sure what to do.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #8

what does the cap look like, is it yellow like pictured below on a pull out extension tube?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220515_175925.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	365756  
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
what does the cap look like, is it yellow like pictured below on a pull out extension tube?
I want to say it looked more like a “standard” oil cap. Like this one, but this one doesn’t fit.

This is the extension tube that runs from the engine compartment to the engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	732A8F3D-8074-4A18-81DB-123F44293BC8.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	365822   Click image for larger version

Name:	6EB3FFF2-52CA-40B8-AEB9-349AE6E85917.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	365823  

Name:	6118D989-BA59-4E50-9E79-61F2616F6E42.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	365824  
Old 05-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #10

Hi Kicker3d
Sounds like you called everyone but Winnebago unless I missed it reading your replies, that would be my suggestion at this point given that extension tube manufacture had a special cap that fit it. I would send the photo of the extension tube take some measurements of the diameter put a ruler/scale against it in the photo, give as much additional information that may Identify the proper cap for the extension tube even if not needed.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:10 PM   #11

Thanks onebrit. I do have an email into Winnebago. Hoping to hear back tomorrow. Good idea including a ruler in the photo along with some measurements. I am really surprised it is such a challenge to find a replacement cap. I figured someone would be able to punch a few keys on a keyboard and order the correct part. Guess it’s not going to happen that way. At this point it will make me very happy if I can even manage to get a cap that fits.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #12

Follow up. When I spoke to the Ford dealer in Forest City Iowa they gave me Ford part number 1L3Z-6766-AA. They said the part was shipping out to me today. I probably won’t have it for 2 days. Like I said before, the dealer didn’t seem very confident that they had found the correct part for me. Wording that I would receive yet another incorrect oil cap in 2 days time, I desperately contacted Winnebago customer service asking them for the part number. I was kind of bummed when instead of helping me with the part number they replied with a very short message telling me to contact Ford and gave me a telephone number. I called the number and Ford customer service said they could not answer parts questions and told me they would transfer me to their parts. The Ford parts guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and gave me the same Ford part number the dealer in Forest City gave me. 1L3Z-6766-AA. He also gave me Motorcraft part number EC755. Two different people giving me the same part number gave me more confidence that I was finally on to something this time. I got too impatient to wait on the part from Forest City so I ran out to O’Rileys and gave them the Motorcraft EC755 number. They cross referenced that number and gave me a Master Pro Select Oil Cap. Part number 8100. This oil cap fit like a glove. I am hoping by sharing this information it will help someone maybe even years from now that may have the same problem as me if stumble across this thread. I am so thankful the search for a replacement oil cap is over and I can now enjoy the upcoming Memorial Day weekend without stuffing a rag in my oil fill tube!
Old 05-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #13

There are 3 different possible caps. The guy at Advanced Auto finally came up with the right one and said it was labled for recreational models. It is very easy to cross thread and then they pop off.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Same thing happened to me on my old FW Storm, I bought a replacement from Amazon.

Tags
ace, engine, problem, replace, replacement