Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
entry door taken by wind

Wind took entry door out of hands and broke door holding rod. Ordered part kit with all parts needed. Need help on assembly of parts. 2005 VECTRA DIESEL
2005VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't have any pictures to help, but as I remember it's pretty straightforward. The inside panel of the door needs to be removed.

Page 201 of the Parts Catalog for your coach shows the door internals, for what it's worth.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Chris
I have a repair kit with all parts needed. I do not know what to expect when a push the flat rod thru the tension block. This rod moves into detent that holds entry door open.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a picture of my old (above) and new (below) door keeper:

My old one was bent, not broken--that's why I replaced it.

I don't remember exactly what's involved, but I don't remember having any difficulties in replacing mine. The short, hinged part on the left is what extends out of the door edge and connects via a pin through that hold to the bracket on the jamb.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This is exactly what I have. I try to assemble and go from there. THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
entry door parts installed. all is good. only thing I discovered is you have to assemble in door not pre assemble. thanks to all.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005VECTRA View Post
entry door parts installed. all is good. only thing I discovered is you have to assemble in door not pre assemble. thanks to all.
2005VECTRA,
Well, as you can see, it's not the best mechanism on the planet. Winne and Itasca, in my opinion, severely goofed up with this lousy, half-a$$ door limiter. It has absolutely ZERO strength in even moderately gusty breezes. Also apparently, it's never been enough of an issue to Winne and Itasca to change the design since, so many have reported issues, broken and over bent door hinges, cracked body corners and more. 3Ts ( a well tied RV repair facility here in Lake Havasu City AZ) developed a bandaid of a door limiter to augment the poor one from the factory. I'm not fond of it either since it puts a serious amount of stress at the lower inside corner of both the door and the body.

A buddy of mine installed a gas strut just above the entry door of his Country Coach and the other end to the top of the door. Man, that was like a vault door. It didn't move AT ALL even with fairly heavy winds. And opening and closing it, was almost not noticeable due to working the gas strut.

But, to place one a Winne/Itasca diesel front entry door, well, not sure if there's enough structure at the top of the door, above the door window, to handle that extra torque. Anyway, glad you go yours fixed. Not fun was it? Been there done that way more than a few times with that mechanism.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Here's a picture of my old (above) and new (below) door keeper:

My old one was bent, not broken--that's why I replaced it.

I don't remember exactly what's involved, but I don't remember having any difficulties in replacing mine. The short, hinged part on the left is what extends out of the door edge and connects via a pin through that hold to the bracket on the jamb.
I know this is an old post, but I would appreciate and information where I could purchase this part. Thanks
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #9

I called Litchsinns RV in forest city about a month ago for our 2005 journey. Had it in stock but be prepared for sticker shock.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
neub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door