Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Exterior coating finish question- to wax or not wax

We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36g. We want to detail the outside and were given some conflicting info. we would like to have the clear coat finish touched up or redone- has anyone done that?

The owners appear to have kept it pretty meticulous. He said he washes and waxes it religiously. One place told us to not wax. Of course they were the ones that were going to do the touch up, but the guy never called back to make the appointment, so I guess we wont be using him.

Any suggestions to protect, improve exterior for the wear factor. We want to restore to new looking, as the rest of it is so good, it looks new!

Thanks for any suggestions and experience!!
annandalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by annandalex View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36g. We want to detail the outside and were given some conflicting info. we would like to have the clear coat finish touched up or redone- has anyone done that?

The owners appear to have kept it pretty meticulous. He said he washes and waxes it religiously. One place told us to not wax. Of course they were the ones that were going to do the touch up, but the guy never called back to make the appointment, so I guess we wont be using him.

Any suggestions to protect, improve exterior for the wear factor. We want to restore to new looking, as the rest of it is so good, it looks new!

Thanks for any suggestions and experience!!
annandalex,
Well, the first thing here is, anyone who tells you NOT to wax your coach is completely clueless. Even on the nicest clear coated cars/trucks/motorhomes/space ships/submarines/ and more, a good wax coat is always helpful and, preserves even the nicest clearcoat. I've been washing/waxing stuff for decades and, it's always worked for me.

As for your clear coat and, touching it up, well, that all depends on what needs touch up. In yours and our era coaches, (ours being an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT), the clear coats were pretty good but, in many cases, the roof radius's started to peel. The company, CDI, that did the paint and clear coating for Winnebago, warranted the clear for up to 10 years, on the roof that is.

But, to actually re-clear-coat and whole coach, is a pretty costly endeavor. I'd have to see some pics of the "needy" areas of your coach. You have a very nice coach. The Meridian is what we originally aimed for but, we migrated over to the Horizon in our search. I've done a lot to ours, fixed a lot of things, improved on others and done a ton of maintenance if you have any questions.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #3

Thanks Scott! It is , of course, by the roof line. I will take some pics when we go to do the mechanical inspection and post back. That won't be until next week.

Yes, I understand the cost. I will say though, that the coach looks new in every respect, except for the design changes. I want to preserve that. Once the clear coat goes and will fade the paint and that's when these poor coaches get a bad rap, lol! I have the same year Audi wagon and God only knows why the paint started chipping off the roof. Went and had the whole thing repainted ( not with Audi pain though, lol) and looks like new. Worth it to keep it another 5 years or so!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

While I do wax my vehicles at times wax does not last all that long 6-8 weeks in general. You might be farther ahead to use one of the paint sealer type coatings such as Klasse(among others) that are polymers. It does all the same stuff wax will do as far as protection but lasts significantly longer. I would concede that in general they do not produce the super deep shine of a good multi layer applied carnuba wax but they still look pretty good but for me the protection is what I am after not really the super shine and if I only need to do it once a year that seals the deal for me.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

My 2005 Adventurer has the same roof radius clear coat problem. I use a product called "Vroom" on the rest of the coach. You just spray it on and wipe it off with a soft cloth. It has good UV protection and lasts a long time. I use it twice a year.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Absolutely wax, wax, wax. Wax on a vehicle is like skin on your body. It protects everything. Do it often, do it well and by all means use the right stuff. You'll get all sorts of suggestions on what folks use, but I'll tell ya from my experience, and I've used practically all of them...NOTHING compares to Meguires Ultimate. It's expensive but worth it. We're constantly complimented on how beautiful our coach looks.

Here's another link that I just posted awhile ago to another fella asking a little different question:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gelc...on-359393.html

Post# 9
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #7

Thanks

Aprreciate the education!!! Now the roof is fiberglass, what is the best way to keep that tip top??

You guys are awesome sharing!!!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by annandalex View Post
Aprreciate the education!!! Now the roof is fiberglass, what is the best way to keep that tip top??

You guys are awesome sharing!!!
You're certainly welcome Sir, that's what we're here for. As for the roof, well, this is a subject that's been covered (no pun intended) quite a few times. Some don't do anything. Some just wash it once in great while. Some put floor wax on it. Some will coat it with something that's not really supposed to go on it, i.e. "Kool Seal", Dicor and more.

Then, there's the few, like me, who actually get up there, clean it thoroughly and, then put wax on the roof. Our coach, the '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, had 40K on the clock when we purchased it right at 6 years ago. The coach had been mostly under cover for most of its life, up to that point. But, the roof was kind-a sad looking.

So, I went to work on it. I first had to remove globs of 6 or 7 year old Silicone that was dripped all over the place on that roof due to some imbeciles who did the install of the KingDome. That actually took metal paint scrapers to get all of it off. Then, once all that was done, I used my professional DeWalt paint buffer, a wool bonnet and, some 3M rubbing compound on that entire roof. Once that was done, a coat of Kit wax was applied.

I must say, that when the three days worth of work was done, that roof was OUTSTANDING looking. Now, some will always say: "That make it way too slippery". Well, for one, no one tells you to get up there, coat it with water and then slide all over the place like a little kid. OF COURSE it's going to become slippery. It's that kind of surface for crying out loud. JUST BE CAREFULL!
Scott

P.S. I have pictures of the process of refurbishing that roof but, I can't find them right now, still looking.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 AM   #9

Our 2006 Itasca Horizon has full body paint and a fiberglass roof. I use 303 on the roof. It has UV protection and protects the fiberglass finish, but unlike wax, it does not leave our roof slippery. On the rest of the coach I have always used a Carnuba paste wax once a year and then use Meguires Carnuba automotive wash and wax each month. This past weekend I started my annual wash, wax, detail job. This time I am using Meguires NXT on the body. So far I am impressed with the results. The NXT went on easy, came of easy, did not require extensive buffing, and left a beautiful high gloss finish. It actually looks wet! As for the peeling clear coat on the roof cap. Well, that seems to be a common problem with that vintage WBGO including mine. If you are planning to have the clear coat reapplied Do not put any wax on it.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fading/peeling clear coat on the roof radius is a common problem. I just had the roof radius and the tops of the front and rear caps on my coach repainted and re-clear coated and it looks great.

If the clear coat on the rest of your coach looks good I would recommend using Mequairs No. 21 Polymer sealant. It is easy to apply and remove and will leave the surface glossy and protected. I also use 303 on the fiberglass roof. I don't care if the roof shines like a new penny and the 303 has UV protection and prevents chalking.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

My roof redo detailed post
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fina...ne-316925.html
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote