Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Factory Solar on 2006 Itasca Meridian 34H

Hello,

I apologize if this has been discussed but I did a search on here and couldn’t find a post on this.

So my factory 10-w solar panel on the roof has a crack and it does not give a charge. I would like to update and replace the panel with a larger size wattage but I am not sure if I need to do anything else to the wiring or install new components to make it work? I was hoping to just cut the wires off the old 10-watt panels and just wire it up to the new stronger watt panels. I was concern this might not be compatible with the current factory wires and components. I tried to find the information on the manual but it doesn’t say how it is wired and how it is connected. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3565.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	187276
cvo15885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced our broken 10W solar panel with a 20W without an issue so far, but I've heard that anything larger (like 40W) will fry a diode in the panel behind the red light, and will require a charge controller, etc., etc.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
I replaced our broken 10W solar panel with a 20W without an issue so far, but I've heard that anything larger (like 40W) will fry a diode in the panel behind the red light, and will require a charge controller, etc., etc.

Okay. I am so new to this whole solar panel thing. I wanted to get something that I can run the RV with, not just maintain my battery. I was thinking in the 150W Range.
cvo15885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo15885 View Post
Okay. I am so new to this whole solar panel thing. I wanted to get something that I can run the RV with, not just maintain my battery. I was thinking in the 150W Range.
I am not sure what you mean by "run the RV with". A 150 watt panel isnt much at all, and will require a charge controller to manage input voltage from the panel, and output voltage to the batteries.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo15885 View Post
Understood, as I would like more solar power, but I plan to go with a standalone portable system to recharge the batteries, versus messing about on the roof. Work!
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:31 AM   #6

Same coach.. That panel is useless, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. A perfectly clean panel in So. Cal can't come close to even topping off fully charged batteries.

That being said, forget about all that wiring used for the panel, unplug the panel located under the fridge roof vent and abandon it in place.

I now have 1/2KW on the roof that was added over several years, and that project got started because I got tired of batteries draining. With the current solar pricing, personally, I would start at 200W, no less.. make sure your charge controller is WAY over-rated (at least 30A) so when you expand you will be ready to simply drop it on the roof. Stay COMPLETELY away from portable systems. They are expensive, and IMO, useless when you have a completely open roof without even an AC pack blocking the sun. Price them out and you see I'm correct. Do the work ONCE and move on. You'll never touch it again

PM me if you need/ want details on best routing and install tips.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Great tip! We have 2005 Vectra with the 10W solar panel that I understand charges just the chassis (engine) batteries? It does not keep these batteries fully charged. I would like to put a larger wattage panel on the roof just to charge these batteries. We don't boondock and where I store the RV I don't have power. Suggestions and could I get the install info you offered?
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Same coach.. That panel is useless, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. A perfectly clean panel in So. Cal can't come close to even topping off fully charged batteries.

That being said, forget about all that wiring used for the panel, unplug the panel located under the fridge roof vent and abandon it in place.

I now have 1/2KW on the roof that was added over several years, and that project got started because I got tired of batteries draining. With the current solar pricing, personally, I would start at 200W, no less.. make sure your charge controller is WAY over-rated (at least 30A) so when you expand you will be ready to simply drop it on the roof. Stay COMPLETELY away from portable systems. They are expensive, and IMO, useless when you have a completely open roof without even an AC pack blocking the sun. Price them out and you see I'm correct. Do the work ONCE and move on. You'll never touch it again

PM me if you need/ want details on best routing and install tips.
Great tip! We have 2005 Vectra with the 10W solar panel that I understand charges just the chassis (engine) batteries? It does not keep these batteries fully charged. I would like to put a larger wattage panel on the roof just to charge these batteries. We don't boondock and where I store the RV I don't have power. Suggestions and could I get the install info you offered?
sandan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #9

Sorry, I got distracted by Quartzsite..

Sure, PM me and ask away

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, solar