RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #1

Fast flashing turn signals

2003 Winnebago Journey turn signals flash very very fast , could it be the trailer towing converter box on the back near the hitch, bad flasher and l havenít checked the rear turn signal bulbs to see if someone put led bulbs Iíve heard if you put led bulbs have to change the flasher ?
Mikesmowing is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:19 PM   #2

Yes, there is a light duty flasher for LED's.....what you're getting is called hyper flash....
Old 09-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

….LEDs are/can be an issue,,,,but so can a burnt out bulb......
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

The flash rate of the older turn signal flashers is deliberately load sensitive.

It's a design feature... I remember my mom's '57 Cadillac owners manual specifically saying that the flasher was designed to "speed up" just to let you know when a bulb burned out... I later found out it's an inherent side effect of the low-cost design. I was 8 years old when I "helped" my dad change a burned out turn signal bulb...

Incandescent bulbs draw an amp or so each, the LED bulbs draw about 1/10 or so each. So with a bulb on the front fender and another on the rear fender, that's a load of about a couple of amps. My MH uses two rear lamps per side, so that's 3 bulbs. It also has a different flasher for the emergency flashers, as that's a load of 6 bulbs.

Most LED conversion kits offer "ballast resistors" or "load resistors". All they do is get hot while they pretend to be the incandescent bulbs that the LEDs replaced.

When I went to LED bulbs in my MH (and also converted the side marker lights into markers and turn signals) I went to the local NAPA store and asked for a flasher that was independent of load. I didn't want load resistors getting hot under my dash or inside my end caps. I knew they existed as they were designed back in the 1980s originally for tractor-trailer rigs... a tractor might be driving down the road with no trailers or one or two (and in some states, like Oregon, three) trailers, each with their own turn signal bulbs. I think Australia allows five, maybe six trailers... they call them "trailer trains".

As i was typing this I just now looked at amazon and found this one. It looks like what NAPA sold me: https: // www.amazon.com/Replacement-Adjustable-Compatible-Electronic-MOTORCYCLE/dp/B07D33JGLC
Yes, it says motorcycle but if you have a two pin flasher with the pins at right angle and the same spacing it should work.

For more information just google "load independent turn signal flasher" (without the quotes). There are a number of them out there.

Mike
Old 09-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #5

All bulbs are working so that eliminates blow bulb , Iím gonna see if it has led bulbs in any light assemblyís
Old 09-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #6

You'll need to isolate any external lights (trailers, tow lights). If it's still flashing fast but illuminated it is likely a LED has been installed or someone put a standard flasher in. Fyi, if you go with an led flasher the lights dont all have to be LEDs. I run LEDs in the flatbed and standard bulbs up front and it works fine.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #7

Found the flashers and grabbed one out of shop and it fixed it , Iím gonna change both flasher out , thanks for the feedback